Subject Author Posted Replies

??? Actually a STUB length carbide 1/2 in end mill ???
Actually a STUB length carbide 1/2 in end mill. I have a couple small high speed milling machines. They are not ever going to be able to handle a heavy cut with a 1/2 inch end mill, but being able to...
10
10

Biggest Tool For Small (FAST) Spindles - 24K
What is the largest tool you run routinely on your high speed 24K spindles in aluminum. For me I do run (extra short) 1/2 inch spot drills and chamfer mills at high speed, but my tool of choice for...
4
4

What is Hot Short?
Its something I have read a couple times about the non-weldability of some alloys. Particularly those that have additives for better machineability like 1144.
3
3

tight fitted top jaws
The top jaws on the 6" 6-jaw CME (Sanou) chuck I received are VERY tight in the main jaws, enough to need a plastic hammer to remove. I've been sanding them down with a square backing bar as the guide...
6
6

freezer temp swing
Had a bad moment a couple of nights ago when our small chest freezer malfunctioned . It's down in the cellar and doesn't get checked often so we don't really know how long it was offline . A lot of...
16
16

macro etchant for Ali
Hi all Could you remind me. Macro etchant for Aluminum... To inspect welds on Ali. I think the suggestion a few months back was spray-on oven cleaner. Brands/types which work? Am in the UK, so would...
17
17

McMaster Again - Their unfair reputation on price
Recently in my search for Metric stainless rod stock McMaster Carr had the best price. By a lot. The next best quote was almost double. It was still 4 times more expensive than similar size standard...
3
3

Just when it looked like ...
I could proceed with the reassembly of my neighbor's side by side UTV without finding more problems . I'm not sure if I've posted about this , the machine is a HiSun 700 , apparently a clone of a...
3
3

Ali MIG/GMAW 27m swaths w twin Cat C32 V12's
Hi Dave and anyone interested Earlier part of this year worked welding Ali "SWATH's". SWATH = Small Waterplane Area Twin Hull things. Sole use (?) servicing offshore windfarms - which are serious...

America is Really Metric Under The Surface
I admit that lots of things made in the USA are metric. The US standard inch was officially redefined as exactly 25.4mm. The claim that America is really metric under the surface seems reasonable...
5
5

Pin Punches - Starrett Vs ___________
Pin Punches - Starrett Vs ___________ Do you own a set of Starrett pin punches? Do you own something else you think is just as good (or better)? Can you abuse them? I've had generic hardware store pin...

OT: fuel pump for IH v345
Apologies for the OT post, skip now if you're a purist 8-) The fuel pump on my '72 IH Scout 2 v345 still works, but it's getting old and I'd like to rebuild it if possible. Does anybody know a source...
1
1

lathe chuck scroll lube?
The Net abounds with answers to what to use, all different, ranging from way oil to antiseize to powdered graphite. Dry molybdenum disulfide in some expensive form seems to be a preferred answer for...
13
13

More Metal Vendor Xometry vs. Midwest
As you know I'm always checking materials price, availability, and processing time. I was about to place an order for some steel from Midwest when I remembered Xometry is sometimes competitive with...

Bending metal part
I am currently baffled on how to bend or even make this part. Has anyone any ideas?
4
4