fillet size and productivity - maring civils construction site

For what it's worth - did another webpage, on what was actually a significant experience to me...

"Fillet weld - size - area and metal deposited"

I both contributed and learned. Lots of consulting with my network and probably on here. Some things I was driving "of my own accord".

Not mentioned - ultimately these webpages take time...

8mm leg-length ("z8") is "the" awkward well size. Up to "z6" - get it with a single run, with optimal conditions. "z10" and above - can multi-run with a 3-run weld.

I did a two-run weld. First run in the fillet corner while "flicking" the rod out horizontally to spread the horizontal leg ("width") out to 8mm. Leaving quite a low first run. Then second run in the new corner on top of the first run. Worked well given high power - 5mm welding rods, welding machine well up to the job and "pushing" the productivity

Hope you like.

The tide thing - some piles you could only get at in a 2-hour window every two weeks (peak of highest Spring tide). February - wind whipping up salt-spray and a drizzle pushing rain from above. Idiot-brain here - welding anyway because of the two-week thing - lifts visor and there's a seal looking at me going "'ello, 'ello, 'ello - what's going on 'ere then?". Hope it didn't hurt its eyes. Was a few metres away. Welding - having to wear welding gear not waterproof... If would do that two 2 hours around high-tide, I could spend the rest of the day in the motor-house of the crane drinking tea and reading a book. "hugging the engine" - chilled to the marrow and no way to have a spare dry set of clothes on a smallish cramped barge. Oh yes - for that job at the "best 240A", was best to weld with other hand behind my back, because as salt-spray built-up, you became very conductive and you had to not as much as brush against the pile... Presumably you the welder became the potential of the stinger you were holding...(?) While the pile stayed at ground potential.

Reply to
Richard Smith

"Fillet weld - size - area and metal deposited"

--------------------------------

If you had control and more normal conditions, could you design the sleeves to be easier to weld from the opening? Plug welds in holes, perhaps?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I think that 8mm "weld-around" fillet weld was very satisfactory. I was not party to the design basis, calculations and decisions. So cannot comment knowledgeably.

I'll put computed answers in-line - expressed in Lisp - the expressions in the brackets - the "(...)"'s eg. (* 4 3) ;; 12 where the answer "12" is inserted by the computer

The tubular pile is about 760mm diameter. So its circumference is Pi * 0.76 (* 0.76 pi) ;; 2.3876104167282426

2.39m of weld

F = sigma.A (/ (* 8e-3 2.39 420e6)

9.81 1e3) ;; 818.593272171254

So that's over 800 Tonnes-force to shear the ring out of the pile, taking current theory (and I know in reality fillet strength is higher than current theory predicts).

The welding was easy, presented with a weld you could easily access in the PB (N.Am. "2F"?)

So, recap'ing - I think the redesign was very satisfactory.

Reply to
Richard Smith