A few questions

Making an electric vehicle for my son. I was going to make the front wheel
spindles with a grade 8 bolt welded to a 1 inch tube. Now a few questions.
1. Is the grade 8 bolt weldable?
2. Will I be able to notch the bolt ( solid ) with a bimetallic hole saw or
should I pull out the grinder and do it the hard way. I just bought a
mini-mill but it probably could not handle the 1 inch curved notch. I
imagine standard HSS cutters would struggle with it.
Aother subject.
1. I just bought the Harbor Freight mini mill ( thanks for all your input -
if and when I build a separate workshop I will get a bigger one and keep
this one in my basement) and was wondering how to go about squaring the
head with the table. I just put up a square til it looked square and
tightened. Seems this may be to simple and innacurate for a milling
machine. Is this how you do it or is there more to it?
Thanks
Barry
Reply to
BP
Barry:
This is called "tramming the head" and is straightforward, if not a bit time consuming. You'll need a dial indicator (DI) or dial test indicator (DTI). Mount the indicator in your spindle such that the tip will sweep across the table until you get 0-0-0 readings. There's an excellent example of doing the same thing on a bridgeport
Metal Web News has some very good reading, spend some time there if you can.
Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill