A New Beginning

I received a piece of 6061 aluminum in the mail and my wife is working today ... guess where I've been ? So far I have the hole for the collet sleeve machined and the bottom side counter bored for the sleeve nut that will retain it . That was done on the lathe with the chunk clamped to a face plate , and worked out great . I'll be getting the vice set up on the mill to machine the flat surfaces next . I was going to take a ride on the Harley tomorrow , but yesterday's

4+ inches of rain has washed out the road ... and with all the rain it's too wet to plow so I can't work in the garden ... so I guess I'll spend tomorrow out in the shop too !
Reply to
Snag

How big of a piece of metal do you need? Seems like a lot of work to make it out of 6061. This from a guy who burns through 6061 all day long in his day.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I got what I need ... I learned a lot the first time around , this one is going quite smoothly . The Chunk started out as a 1 1/2 x 3 x 6 inch piece . It now has a 1.5" hole in one end , and by this time tomorrow it will bear little resemblance to the the original piece .

Reply to
Snag

...by this time tomorrow it will bear little resemblance to the the original piece . Snag

Good luck. I hope it closely resembles an end mill sharpening fixture. Since it's aluminum it won't be a good excuse to buy a surface grinder.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I was thinking this is a real tool makers tool. I don't know if I would put in that much work to make it out of aluminum.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

This part is not stressed enough to warrant making it from steel ... the parts that need to be , such as the collet holder and associated bits are steel .

Reply to
Snag