Back from Saxon house building, browner, thinner (marginally) and weary for two days.
I had the ALCO featherweight clamped in the vice before I went, getting it to run briefly on the Thursday before I left. Returning to it today, I've freed off the governor adjuster screw, found a fuel pipe that fits filled the float chamber and had it running several times for short runs. It is very brief in the fin department and still lacks its cowling. I may be wrong, but it sounds retarded to me .......... Anyone have timing details for it?
This afternoon I cleaned it with Gunk and a wire brush in the electric drill and removed fifty years of oily poo, aluminium corrosion and scale. Beneath it all were a couple of patches of khaki paint, but I'm afraid I am seduced by all that aluminium ( the dynamo is built up from three ali die castings) and will leave it all bare and spray the cast iron cowl, rocker cover and timing cover black.
It occurred to me that it would fit in the kitchen sink, so to avoid carrying water about, I took it indoors with me. Hazel was working on her book on the downstairs computer and we chatted amiably as I washed the Gunk off and gave it a wash down with my favourite degreaser, washing powder (well, fluid) and boiling water. Abstractedly, she commented on the nice smell (she is a creosote freak, I'm afraid) and eventually looked up to see what I was doing.
"There's an engine in my sink" she observed. "That's right" I replied cheerily, "it saves carrying water about." "Well, as long as it isn't the thin edge of the wedge" she said, pushing her glasses back up her nose and returning to 'How to Survive Being a School Nurse'.
I washed all the remnants of Gunk away and cleaned the sink behind me, so there will be no repercussions. A good wife is worth a lot to a man....
Masked it up and sprayed it with red primer in the right places. Dynamo tomorrow.