ALCO HH

A couple of years ago there was a eastern US company that offered a resin Alco HH. I lost the bookmark for this company, and was hoping some one had the URL if this product is still available. Roger Aultman

Reply to
Roger Aultman

The site is gone. I think it's Branford Hobbies however they don't really have a site as such. The front page (only page) does have a phone number

203 488 9865. You might call and check.
Reply to
Jon Miller

Branford Hobbies (CT) indeed offered a resin ALCO HH-660 (or 600?) a few years back. However, the store housing the shop has been under reconstruction for at least a year now and this have fouled up things. I do not believe any of the unique resin models they were making are currently available.

CNJ999

Reply to
JBortle

I did a search for Branford Hobbies, it does indeed appear to have quit manufacturing. Guess I will have to try and make my old Walthers HH look a little slimmer. Roger

Reply to
Roger Aultman

Hurrah, another Walthers HH660 owner! Had one for some years now...originally from a 1940's kit. Not pretty but certainly a conversation piece!

CNJ999

Reply to
JBortle

No, there is another, I have one of the execrable things. A box of pitted and bubbly solder castings. Awful, but I suppose it was fine in 1939.

Reply to
Froggy

now...originally

From a historical standpoint, wasn't that of the first commercially produced locomotive kits that attempted to be true to scale?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Mine came from eBay, it is pretty tough looking and the power truck looks like big globs of solder all over. It runs quite smooth with a low current draw, will have to install a decoder and see how many cars it can pull. Roger

Reply to
Roger Aultman

You can roll your own from an RS-3 and an S-2

Check either Mainline Modeler of 1/91 or Railmodel Journal of 12/97. I don't have either. If someone could scan one, I'd be grateful.

Jay who plans to install HIS scanner soon.

Reply to
JCunington

Actually, the name of the company is "New Haven Terminal", and they are in the basement of Brandford Hobbies. I talked to the owner of New Haven Terminal at the Springfield Show this past February. He assured me that he will go back into production as soon as possible, but that the re-construction of the building he is in is taking longer that anyone thought (they are adding a second story). He was telling me that a new support piller goes right through his casting shop, and it doesn't help when the entire basement is filled with the stuff from Brandford Hobbies (who moved it out of the way to add the second story). The owner knows that there are rumors out there that they were out of business, but he wanted me to assure anyone who asks that he will be back, with production of his EP-5, DL109, FL9, HH660 (or is it a HH600?), American Flyer cars (8200's on the NH), and a new NE-5 caboose (I have one of the pre-production shells). He also hinted at new things coming, but he wouldn't say...

Paul A. Cutler III

************** Weather Or No Go New Haven **************
Reply to
Pac Man

There is a brass HH1000 (close enough for most roads) available occasionally on ebay made by Hallmark (I think). Years later a more expensive version was also made by ???? The Hallmark unit is still in a reasonable price range.

I have a couple of the Hallmarks, one with a P2K S1 chassis in it, extra lead and DCC. It is smooth and quiet.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Hey Paul, Have you built one of the FL9s? Do they look "good"? Have you seen the HH660? I would like to have a high hood that looks at least good enough not to embarrass the dog. There is still one sitting in Mobile Alabama that belongs to the Alabama State Docks Terminal Railway. It still has a 531 engine inside, or did the last time I was there. Do you know if your friend intends to do the New Haven electrics? Yeah, right. That's just what I need; electrics.

....................F>

Closet, GA.

Reply to
Froggy

I didn't build one, I bought mine fully assembled and painted for NH. Of course, mine is the older all-metal shell (before he switched to resin), but it pulls really good. ;-)

Essentially, it is based on the Atlas FP7 shell, so all the problems with the Atlas FP7 are present with this FL9.

Yes, I have.

I don't know how close it is to actual dimensions (I haven't measured one or anything), but it looked pretty good to me.

I think the nearest one to me is in Iowa... :-)

Well, he does have the EP-5... There may be another NH electric coming, but I can neither confirm nor deny that information.... ^_^

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

I think it came out in the late 30's, seems like it was occasionally listed in MR's in the early-middle 50's, the castings were available in the 80's if I remember correctly. Roger

Reply to
Roger Aultman

I think it came out in the late 30's, seems like it was occasionally listed in MR's in the early-middle 50's, the castings were available in the 80's if I remember correctly. Roger

Reply to
Roger Aultman

I seem to remember that article, might have one of them. Roger

Reply to
Roger Aultman

I can verify they were in the Walthers' catalog as late as the 1984 edition. A friend has a set back in '72 at MSOE, I don't know if he ever got it together, but we did verify it would, with a little filing, fit on an Athearn SW-7 (then called the SW-1500) drive.

Don

Reply to
Trainman

Trainman posts -

Indeed, the basic set of body shell parts remained available for a very long time from Walthers. However, the kit that built a fully operating model ran only from 1938 until 1950 according to my references. The early castings were of much better quality and didn't have all the air holes and irregularities.

CNJ999

Reply to
JBortle

irregularities.

I would suspect that by the 80's the original dies were in pretty poor shape.

A more recent example, compare the Revell 1961 Chrysler autombile models with the Reissues Heljan sold in the 1980's.

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman