a quick 'n dirty low primer alarm

Warning: metal content.
I made a device to warn me when my ammo reloading press is running low on primers. Such things are readily available commercially, but I
didn't want to wait for shipping. And, this one cost me zip!
http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/low_primer_alarm /

Good solution for the environment.
The Gommint won't let us have open contacts (even low-V, high resistivity) in our environment, so I cobbled up a very similar "low powder" sensor using, like you, a follower, a FLOAT (yes, it floats in the powder), a magnet, and an encapsulated mecury-wetted reed switch.
LLoyd
On Tue, 22 May 2007 07:32:02 -0400, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

I thought about a reed switch, this seemed quicker and easier. I probably would use a reed switch on a powder float.
The few microamps and 3 volts that this switch operates would easily meet Gummint intrinsic safety rules for explosive environments, don't know about special pyrotechnic considerations.

Probably would here, too. But the inspectors don't know a thing about the technology, so you have to spend about $6K to have a new design certified by an independent lab, or you cannot use it.
I can build a lot of magnetic switches for $6K.... <G>
LLoyd
On Tue, 22 May 2007 14:37:15 -0400, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

Yup! Ain't it wunnerful that we are saved from our folly by government inspectors who "know about these matters"? <G>
Don Foreman wrote:

What is the matter with just painting a band or the end of the follower and keeping an eye on it? (A solution waiting for a problem) :-) ...lew...
On Tue, 22 May 2007 13:57:16 GMT, Lew Hartswick

Perhaps just slightly more than a minimal soluton to a problem I had. A paint band would work if one thinks to look at it periodically, YMMV. I wanted something that'd grab my attention, since I'm already doing several tasks at once while reloading in an indexing turret press. Place brass in station 1 with right hand, eyeball charge in station 3 before placing bullet with left hand, push lever with right hand to seat primer in station 2 and then pull lever to deprime,size, seat and crimp in the various stations. Once I get rolling this thing spits out ammo like a jellybean dispenser. I want good ammo. Still do 100% QC, visual and a quick weigh to check for no-charge or double-charge. Never had a double charge yet but I've caught a couple of no-charges due to operator error. I'm new at this.
Besides, this was more fun.
I think the Dillon solution has a buzzer -- but I probably wouldn't hear it!
Don Foreman wrote:

Nice job...
I knew you couldn't resist coming back for long...<G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)