A realization on "G code scripts"

Existential Angst wrote:

Iggy is using EMC2, but yes, Mach3 has "wizards" for these type of functions and I'm pretty sure EMC2 has something comparable as well.

See G12,G13 with plane select keyword(G17,18,19). My quick google shows that g2 g3 now take a ramping value on some controls.
In the case of G12, G13 on older controls, it was basically a G2/3 move with an infeed or ramping down/up per revolution. That is if I remember this correctly.
Wes
http://www.new.manufacturinget.com/?pb0

Yes, but for circles only. EMC takes arguments to make the cut helical.
I want to make a lifting eye with a egg shaped hole.

You do.

EMC is almost all software, so,

Might as well have fun. Pictures are expected ;)

    Hmm ... what about arguments to make a circle elliptical?

    With *that* -- you will need a much more complex program, blending various curves to make the total desired shape -- and you might as well find a section which is the largest segment of a circle and ramp down during that, then complete the shape from there.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

    Even better is to ramp down as you circle. Plunging requires a center-cutting mill. The ramp does not as you get slightly deeper as you progress.

    Also consider cutter compensation -- telling the CNC machine what diameter cutter you are using, and which side of the cutter you are using, and it generates a tool path to produce the shape you want -- or complains if the drawing calls for a tighter radius in the pocket than your mill can actually produce. Of course, you don't hit this particular problem when cutting the outside of a rectangle.

    But if you don't separate (in time) the tasks, you can do the ramp down instead.

    Indeed so.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Great point.

you mean inside rectangle?

I will first try to just learn G codes, I think, but I started experimenting with better way of writing those scripts. Basically a CAM library in perl.
But I think that before running, I need to learn to walk, so, I will practice using G-Codes in a non-idiosyncratic manner.
    [ ... ]

    No -- I mean *outside* the rectangle. If you are making a rectangular plateau -- or cutting the outside dimensions of a plate, you can produce totally square corners -- or round them to whatever degree you want, with no consideration of the size of the cutter -- as long as it will fit between the feature you are making and all surrounding ones.
    But when doing the *inside* of a rectangle, you *can't* produce a square corner unless you have a special tool which holds mills at a 45 degree angle and the mills come to a sharp point at just the right angle. *That* can be fed vertically to make the inside of the corners sharp. But it will have to be re-oriented for each corner, unless the workpiece is on a rotary table.
    Otherwise, your inside corners are limited to the radius of the mill being used.
    Picture what would happen if you had a 1/2" diameter (1/4" radius) end mill, and asked it to produce a 1/8" radius in the corners. If the software is good -- it will simply error out. If not, it will attempt it, gouging out around the corners. :-)
BTW    A trick for roughing vs finish cutting. When you first run the     program -- *lie* to it about the size of the cutter, telling it     that the cutter is N thousandths larger than it really is, so it     will leave "N thousandths"/2 of material on each surface. Then     re-run the program with the true size of the mill entered, and     you will get a finish cut. (You will also waste some machine     time as it re-cuts air in the pocket forming and such, but you     can slightly re-write the program to only do the finish passes     if time is more important to you.
    [ ... ]

    O.K.
    Yes -- that makes sense. Some things (like blending curves to straight cuts) may benefit from a CAD program generating the desired shape, and a CAM one generating the g-Codes as a starting point -- which could still be hand optimized.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Have you looked at Mach 3? It has wizards included that do many of these functions already. It has a number of lines of code limit, and I think you need to register to use the wizards, but its worth a look see.
Have you looked at Cam Bam? They claim it's a beta, but I have done some real serious detail work with this CAM software, and it even has some limited CAD capability. The executions limited demo is 100% non crippled, and the price to register is very reasonable.
If you enjoy writing programs soldier on, but otherwise I think you are reinventing the wheel.
Yes, I still do some hand coding of G-code, but as I learn to use the tools I have I do less and less of it.

I do have a spare registered dongle for one of the older versions of MasterCam btw...I was wanting $1000 for it..but ..I might Swap for it.
Gunner

A weekend of fishing the river and a huge bag of hand injected plastic baits?

You actually interested in it? It has hummm...5 Mastercam versions on it IRRC..master mill, the lathe thingy and 3 others.
Ill have to go dig it up and refresh my memory as to which version its good for.
Lots of downloads out there..with the dongle..they are legal. Or mostly <G>
Gunner

I haven't a clue if I would like Master Cam or not. I have not played with it at all. For 2D an 2.5D I like Cam Bam a lot. It took me a few weeks to get a handle on how it works, and if I had time to just sit and play I could probably have done it in a day or two. Supposedly it does 3D pretty well, but I have not gotten a 3D CAD program yet that I can use effectively to try it. I am fighting right now with some shapes that I just can't seem to backdoor without hand writing the code and using my Excel macro to do the reiterative work. It's a big pain. However, if I could get the dongle in exchange for taking you fishing for a couple days (something I would do anyway)... I would atleast give MasterCam a try. LOL

    However -- Mach 3 requires Windows under it, which Iggy does not care for -- and neither do I -- especially with servos instead of steppers. If you got a BSOD just after issuing a fast move -- the axis or axes would keep going until they hit the overrun stops -- even if it meant moving the cutter (or what was left of it) through the workpiece which happened to be in the way beyond the planned stop point.

    Again Windows based -- though less chance of disaster if you get a BSOD so that might be acceptable for those willing to run Windows. (It never *said* anywhere that it was Windows but this strongly suggests it:
=====================================================================To install plugins, download and unzip them to the plugins subfolder of the CamBam application folder. This is usually at "C:\Program Files\CamBamPlus\plugins" or "C:\Program Files\CamBam\plugins". =====================================================================     Between the backslashes delimiting subdiretories and the "C:" drive designator, I don't think that anything else (other than MS-DOS) would fit.

    Understood!
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 01:38:30 +0000, DoN. Nichols wrote:

[Following is OT in R.C.M so I adjusted Subject]
Some safety systems aboard the Deepwater Horizon were based on Microsoft Windows NT and got frequent BSOD's. Here's an article that suggests that use of Microsoft Windows is partly to blame for sensors and alarms being inhibited aboard the drilling platform: <http://www.examiner.com/x-39728-Tech-Buzz-Examiner~y2010m7d24-Did-BSODs-on-the-Deepwater-Horizon-contribute-to-the-Gulf-oil-disaster
<http://techrights.org/2010/07/23/blue-screen-of-death-and-bp/ is an over-the-top article on the same topic.
--
jiw

I really do not care for Windows.There is one thing that I need to do in Windows -- update maps on my GPS -- and I have been postponing that.

Reboot, reboot, reboot. LOL. One thing I like about the version of Ubuntu distributed with EMC2 is that you can set install it over top of Windows and set it up for dual boot so you can go to Windows or Linux as needed.

We have Mazak Qt-250's and multiplex's using w95 for the hmi, thankfully the backend (NC) is a mitsubishi processor. That seems to work. W95 didn't try to do to much.
I've had the joy of dealing with a windows based assembly cell. IFix, Kepware, FactoryTalk, yada. What a steaming pile of chit. Oh yes, to stay on theme, our SCHMIDT Servo Presses are running NT4.
Meanwhile back on another line, mostly plc and panelview based, things work fairly well.
Another line also plc based with one win hmi app, I think is factory talk, works fine software wise, has issues mechanically but we will figure that out eventually.
Windows is fine for desktop apps. It isn't a mission critical OS.
Wes wrote:

NASA uses 'Embedded NT' in some of their telemetry equipment. I would think that the Space Shttle and the ISS were mission critical.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.