Adding a hinge to a harbor freight PORTABLE bandsaw?

What I am thinking of doing, in one form or another, is adding a hinge to a harbor freight portable bandsaw, so that it becomes a little better at making precise cuts. It could serve as a stationary bandsaw, kind of. It would hinge around and could be lowered on stock to be cut. Anyone tried anything like that?

Ignoramus29795

I had a Milwaukee portable band saw with stand once, much like this one except mine wasn't deep throat:

It worked, pretty well, for cutoff, but even though this was a factory stand and made really well of nice cast iron, I didn't like it much and as soon as I got my first 4x6 saw I sold it. A 4x6" bandsaw is a *lot* better saw than a portaband on a stand.

As far as making one, I suggest you skip it and just get a 4x6 saw. I bet they have those regularly on the Chicago craigslist, used, for $75 or less.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I would definitely buy something like a 4x6 saw, or better, BUT unfortunately, I do not have space for one. Hence my question.

I would really like to own a nice bigger bandsaw, but it is not in my realm of possibilities.

Ignoramus29795

The Portaband hinged stand, as I recall, includes a chain-type Vise-grip clamp for holding the work. This is especially good for cutting bundles of tubing.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Check this out. I am thinking of getting one for myself.

...Mike

Reply to
Mike DeAngelis

I've got one (Lathemaster) in a home/hobby shop and I like it alot. It's a new tool and I've only used it on some 4' x 4' wood and some 1/2 inch alum. For $229.00 plus some bi-metal blades makes this saw is a good buy for the home machinist/hobbist.

Here's a link to a model I believe the Lathemaster was copied after:

Enco and others have portable bandsaw accessories, which include add-on bases.

Jack

Mike DeAngelis wrote:

Reply to
Taunt

This has been discussed before - check Google Groups.

I made one that works very well - see "Porta Stand" in the dropbox. Space is a big issue for me also, my saw & stand hangs on the wall when not in use.

That said, when a neighbor offered me a free 4x6, I found room for it. I put it in the storage room, with the stock. It's bigger, better, and always ready to use.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I built a miter stand for one of the Porter Cable PortaBand saws. I work a lot of square tubing and got sick of the chop saw. Pictures are in the retired 2004 area of the Dropbox under pmiter1..4 and description. Having used it for a couple of years now, I am really happy with it.

Good Luck, Bob

Reply to
MetalHead