Adding vibration to lathe cutting tool to aid cutting

Years ago I worked a ultrasound equipment manufacturer, one client wanted a lathe tool holder modified with our ultrasonic transducer to vibrate the tool 40,000 to 600,000 times a second. The amount of tool movement is small (micrometers) and adjustable. The job was never completed.

Is this something that is in production?

Do you see how it would help in cutting.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

You could experiment by boring out steel water pipe with a 1/2" diameter by 8" long boring bar. You won't need the transducer.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

What was it supposed to do? Reduce chip welding? Help with breaking chips?

I've experimented with one of these entirely mechanical devices:

The oscillation is axial and the amplitude is pretty small, on the order of a few tenths to a few thousandths. But that's in the range of the feed per rev of a gun drill, so it's effective at thinning and breaking the chips.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Yes, but he wants _industrial_production_line_ chatter, Jim.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Machinists gossiping about "Scandal"???

Sorry, I made example #1 of products and the applicable test stations, but deviously evaded entanglement in their subsequent mass production.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Using a higgs field generator prevents any entanglement in mass production.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

A steady stream of Bozons cycled through the job of Production misManager. The nameplate by the door was a chalkboard.

The interview test was to have them pick up a screwdriver. Grabbing the blade end qualified them for management.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I watched the video, That could have been the idea behind the ultrasound applied to a cutting tool. I seem to have a memory about cutting extremely hard materials also. Others seem to have shown some ignorance on the subject, but that's ok, it is only because they are ignorant on the subject. So they poke fun.:-) Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Lighten up, r.c.m is a tough audience for me too.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Aw, I wasn't that hard on them :-) You want to see a tough audience, see rec.boats. Not much boat info, but a lot of entertainment. In there, if you don't agree with a liberal philosophy you are obviously a racist. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

We use them to make Primordial Soup.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

The next test was with a hot soldering iron. The ones that picked it up my the element were qualified for upper management.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I got the thing set up and running and it did pretty much what the video shows. Someone else took over to test it in production and I haven't asked how it worked in practice.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

You have -videos- of this, I hope?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I incident I wish was recorded was my boss showing me a sensitive and expensive microwave Active Mixer he wanted in the circuit. He was holding it between thumb and forefinger when he pointed with it to the schematic on the large CAD CRT, which had built up quite a charge on its front surface.

ZAP!--OH SHIT!

I was concerned that the engineers would pick up the hot end of an iron left out of its holder. Upper management wouldn't recognize it as a tool.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

If so - send it upstairs for a training video!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I wish! It would go viral in a hurry.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Har! Did he kill it?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Jim Wilkins" on Thu, 12 Jun 2014 22:32:46

"Doesn't take me long to inspect an iron."

tschus pyotr

pyotr filipivich

We had to assume so, since to test it we would have had to solder it on the board along with all the other expensive parts, and didn't have the hot air rework station to properly remove them. The board was a special low-loss material for >1GHz controlled-impedance circuits, with unknown desoldering properties, similar to the material used in oscilloscope inputs.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins