Adhering other metal molts to sheet iron

Hi there, I'm trying to find if I can drop molten metals onto metal sheet, I'm thinking aluminum or copper on to an iron sheet and have them adhear? Any help
and guidance much appreciated
who knows
"Colin" wrote in message
Hi there, I'm trying to find if I can drop molten metals onto metal sheet, I'm thinking aluminum or copper on to an iron sheet and have them adhear? Any help and guidance much appreciated
who knows
On 8/23/21 3:01 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

And what did Jim write???
If he'd snipped Colin's sig line, instead of adding his own text below it, it would be here in Thunderbird's compose window.
And before this, it would have shown in dark, crisp text in T'bird's messsage pane, instead of the same pale gray as Colin's sig.
I didn't bother trying to read it.

I've seen that problem with Jim's posts also. His `Microsoft Windows Live Mail` newsreader probably is set up incorrectly, or of course might not conform to newsgroup standards, or he might be pushing the wrong buttons to start a reply. Anyhow, some newsreaders (eg Tin) show signature text (which is where his text shows up) automatically, and some (eg Pan) can be set up to not automatically cut the signature text.
"James Waldby" wrote in message ...
I've seen that problem with Jim's posts also. His `Microsoft Windows Live Mail` newsreader probably is set up incorrectly, or of course might not conform to newsgroup standards, or he might be pushing the wrong buttons to start a reply. Anyhow, some newsreaders (eg Tin) show signature text (which is where his text shows up) automatically, and some (eg Pan) can be set up to not automatically cut the signature text.
-----------------------------
Whatever the issue, I haven't found a menu choice that appears able to change how Live Mail handles my postings. I tried Thunderbird first but couldn't get it to work with the Eternal September newsreader.
How much do you expect from a "broken" (and fixed) $5 fleamarket laptop running W7? I'm not going to pay to be abused when I try to help.
On 24/08/2021 01:21, Jim Wilkins wrote:

What do you mean by 'Eternal September newsreader' as I'm posting this reply using Thunderbird and Linux with Eternal September and have never had any issues except I've always noted the display problems with your postings being greyed but still readable.

I don't think anyone's ever had to pay to be abused in the news groups, that's always been provided free.
$5 fixable laptop sounds ok, probably worth the electricity to run it if it stays virus free and isn't too sluggish and has an ok screen and keyboard.

It's interesting you got Thunderbird / Linux / Eternal September to work ok. I tried that combination a year ago, and don't remember specific problems with it except maybe kill files didn't work? With Pan, kill files work ok (so I use it to read news) but for the past year it's had posting authentication problems and I use Tin to post. Tin is supposed to have kill files and scoring which I set up but they seem to do nothing.
"James Waldby" wrote in message
$5 fixable laptop sounds ok, probably worth the electricity to run it if it stays virus free and isn't too sluggish and has an ok screen and keyboard.
It's interesting you [DB] got Thunderbird / Linux / Eternal September to work ok. I tried that combination a year ago, and don't remember specific problems with it except maybe kill files didn't work? With Pan, kill files work ok (so I use it to read news) but for the past year it's had posting authentication problems and I use Tin to post. Tin is supposed to have kill files and scoring which I set up but they seem to do nothing.
-----------------------------
The $5 laptop is a Dell D630, a high end business model from ~2010, with a 2.4 GHz Penryn CPU and mobo graphics that don't overheat like the Nvidia 'upgrade'. For what I do its Internet performance is no worse than my newer i5 Lenovo running W10. The keyboard is a Logitech K360 on the desk's pull-out shelf and I view applications on a 19" external display, leaving the built-in screen for controls and status and composing responses to messages shown on the 19".
It's a comfortable and convenient setup for daily use and along with a similar HDTV-recording laptop and 22" TV/monitor beside it, all I need to display multiple pages of instructions and spreadsheets when I do my taxes. The spreadsheets are my automation of the tax forms though I file what my sister the tax accountant gets from her program. For the last few years the results have matched.
My most compute-intensive task is receiving, playing and recording two off-the-air TV shows at once, for which a 2.0 GHz Dual Core CPU is quite adequate. These older, thicker laptops accept a second 1 TB spinning hard drive to store video while booting from an SSD. Their only real weakness is short battery life but it's long enough to coast through glitches or switch to the solar backup. ExpressCard USB3 is fast enough to keep up with external backup drives.
Unfortunately there isn't a really good alternative here to $200/month Xfinity for Internet access and W10 updates would rapidly consume the 2 GB/mo I get from a cellular ISP.
The problem with Thunderbird was configuring it (or W7) to log into the ES account, though it did connect on an older computer. I bashed on TB and WLM in parallel and WLM succeeded first.
On 24/08/2021 03:55, James Waldby wrote:

My ISP dropped usenet support back in 2014 and I just switched over to ES no problem whatsoever with Thunderbird, I haven't found anything that doesn't work. Killfiles work fine or RCM would be intolerable.
"David Billington" wrote in message
My ISP dropped usenet support back in 2014 and I just switched over to ES no problem whatsoever with Thunderbird, I haven't found anything that doesn't work. Killfiles work fine or RCM would be intolerable.
-------------------------------
TB worked for me on a cloned hard drive in a scratch computer as a test but not when I installed it on the intended machine which was fully updated and has different hardware. WLM is adequate so I didn't risk tinkering further with the good computer. I save Acronis backups of C: but don't fully trust them.
On 24/8/21 10:21 am, Jim Wilkins wrote:

All you have to do is to delete or indent any line in the quoted text that starts with two minus signs. That's the marker that says "my signature block starts here". You don't have to change newsreader to do that - just try to remember to do it.
CH
"Clifford Heath" wrote in message
On 24/8/21 10:21 am, Jim Wilkins wrote:
All you have to do is to delete or indent any line in the quoted text that starts with two minus signs. That's the marker that says "my signature block starts here". You don't have to change newsreader to do that - just try to remember to do it.
CH
------------------------
Thanks for providing a definite solution instead of just complaining. I've done that a few times but never received any feedback on how it works on others' newsreaders.
On 8/23/21 5:21 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

It's the dash-dash-space thing, which says everything that follows is a sig. You could put your text ABOVE the dash-dash-space thing, and it wouldn't get stripped away. Or just delete the dash-dash-space thing.
No abuse intended. I almost always read your posts, and I'm hoping you'll make this small change. This monitor that I'm using is a crummy TN panel, with bad color shift when things aren't close to screen center. Your post, in faded gray along the bottom, almost disappears into the background.
"Corvid" wrote in message
It's the dash-dash-space thing, which says everything that follows is a sig. You could put your text ABOVE the dash-dash-space thing, and it wouldn't get stripped away. Or just delete the dash-dash-space thing.
No abuse intended. I almost always read your posts, and I'm hoping you'll make this small change. This monitor that I'm using is a crummy TN panel, with bad color shift when things aren't close to screen center. Your post, in faded gray along the bottom, almost disappears into the background.
I'll try to remember that, sometimes composing the response distracts me from editing the original.
I've settled on a useful computer and electronics bench setup with two removable laptops on the static mat desktop, 19" and 22" extended displays for them plus an Altec sound system filling the upper shelf, and a wireless keyboard on the pull-out drawer. The Logitech K360 is narrow enough to fit the mouse pad beside it. The other components are too old to recommend.
A weird nym-shifting troll, usually "Corvid" (also "Charger Boy", see sci.electronics.repair)...
see also...
and others...