Adhesive for CNC machining of thin brass parts

Can any recommend an adhesive to glue 1/8 inch thick 12 inch square
brass to a backing plate during
the routing of parts on a CNC? I don't use cutting fluid. Ideally, it
should be easy to remove the parts from the backing plate after routing
is complete.
Reply to
emcgizmo
I have done grinding of ceramics by bonding the ceramic to a steel plate using parafin wax. I heated the ground steel plate in hot water or in an oven if the wax is not melted by the hot water, rubbed a thin layer of wax from a block onto it(after drying the plate) and then laying the part onto the plate, making sure that the wax was between both. I then placed the plate on something to cool it with a weight to keep the part in close contact until the wax hardened. If you don't think the wax is enough you can get resin sticks that use higher tempatures, used in the same manner. There is also a waxpaper type material used for the same procedure, the only difference is the paper is made to higher precision. We got some from an ad in Modern Machine Shop but I can not remember the name of the product at the moment. It did work well thought.
James Crombie
Reply to
James P Crombie
Thanks for the response. Do you have a US source for the resin sticks? I have a hunch that the paraffin won't hold the brass in place since I am cutt> snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
Reply to
emcgizmo
If you have many parts to make, a vacuum fixture might expedite things for you.
Lewis.
*****
Reply to
limeylew
Why not have the cnc make upteen passes of small increments? That's what it's for! Double sided masking tape should do it, I've used carpet tape but it tends to gum up the cutter a little. /mark
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
Reply to
Mark F
The person who introduced me to this proceedure recommended something like the following. They are resin/lacquer sticks used for repairing scratches in furniture. I am not sure at what tempatures you would have to heat to for these. The clear would be my choice. While they are in Canada, they do ship to the US, and you may be able to find a local supplier.
James Crombie
emcgizmo wrote:
Reply to
James P Crombie
I have done acres of this kind of cutting The best way is to cover the back of the piece with transfer tape for vinyl signage. Spray your table and the back of the material with 3m77 / Let dry for about 2 minutes and place the brass on the table/ Mill it. It won't move. If you feel better just duct tape the edges.
Reply to
daniel peterman
sealing wax... used also in the faceting of gemstones
Reply to
Sam Soltan