How to bond vulcanized rubber to PVC?

What solvent or glue will permanently bond vulcanized rubber (a bicycle inner tube) to PVC pipe?

I need a substance that will create a watertight bond and withstand long-term exposure to mild lubricants (Hand lotion, vegetable oil, etc.).

Metal content: There's a 1/4-28 allen-head screw in there somewhere.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

My bet is that a two-part urethane might do the trick. There are also blends of pvc and natural rubber that you might use as a "bonding layer" between two parts that are thermally welded.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Rubber cement or contact cement

Reply to
daniel peterman

It isn't really vulcanized rubber. It is a synthetic rubber. Perhaps buna, perhaps SBR, possibly EPDM. I have used 3M Pronto CA40H to bond EPDM to CPVC in production.

Reply to
Polymer Man

I'd use a hose clamp if I could; the rubber bits in the basement are all attached to cast iron and plastic with 'em.

Reply to
jtaylor

I 'think' Gorrila glue will do that. Uncle borrowed some to glue PVC pipe to wood and I've glued rubber to leather (sno pacs) so I think pvc to rubber is doable.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch