Adjusting the taper spindle bearings on a RF-45 clone:

I have just taken ownership of one of the RF-45 clones. The spindle seems to have a lot of "radial" play. Hope that is what it is called. I basically put a dial indicator against the lowest portion of the spindle. I then applied very little force on the spindle by hand and could easily move the spindle 0.12 mm

I also removed the bearing cap screw at the bottom of the spindle and could move the "outer race" of the roller bearing up and down without any effort.

Does this cap screw have anything to do with the adjustment of the lower roller bearing? I have studied the diagram that came with my mill and to me it looks as if the bearings are adjusted with a lock nut somewhere higher up in the assembly. Can I get to this nut without disassembling the machine?

I am from a non-mechanical background and just hope that this explanation of my problem makes sense to the group.

I guess what I am really asking is how to adjust the taper roller bearings on the RF-45 or one of its clones? Is it possible to drop the quill/spindle sub assembly from the casting in order to do the taper bearing adjustment? Do I need to take the oil out of the gearbox before I do this?

If this is the wrong procedure, what is the correct procedure?

Reply to
JvdV

Simply remove the spindle pulley. This exposes the upper nut (and star washer which keeps it) which loads the bearings. I was able to get the pulley off by (1) removing the big nut holding it down (big wrench!), and (2) prying gently up from underneath the pulley, while tapping it with a soft hammer. Others haven't found it breaks loose easily, and some kind of puller may be required.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch