Air leaks

Since I started buying accessories for my compressor I have been noticing that many leak. The last two were an air filter and a new hose. The filter leaks just below the housing. The hose leaks at both ends at the connectors. I should stress these are not leaks produced by myself through adding connector hardware (all that is done with generous use of Teflon tape - no leaks there!).

Admittedly the leaks are very small and detectable only with soapy water. E.g. the two hose leaks did not drop the pressure in the 4 gallon tank significantly over 3 hours.

I cannot imagine that leaks of that magnitude in a compressed air system matter all that much (Propane, different story...:-). I am however puzzled as to how common these occurrences are and how acceptable they are considered by others. Are there differences in manufacturers?

Reply to
Michael Koblic

Im assuming you are refering to the quick action air couplings. I reckon as far as fittings go you get what you pay for ,cheap copies of the more famous brands would probably not seal as good , I don't really know .I have always used the brass Jamec type because of thier smaller size , but industry here seems to changing over to the Nitto type. Leaks just add wear and tear to your compressor ,as they cause your compressor to cycle more often ,using more power or fuel . In a large system like in a factory where they have large compressors and every tool is airpowered leaks can cost a lot of money over a year. I saw a system on an inventors tv show where a guy has invented a system where the exhaust from air powerd tools is fed back into the compressor , reducing noise and recycling the air. I dont know how far he is down the track getting it developed , but I would imagine it could be very cost effective over a period of time.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

"Kevin(Bluey)"

ROTFLMAO !!!

Reply to
Phil Kangas

--Rule #1: don't buy anything that has to hold pressure from H-F. Stay as far as you can from that blue compressor hose they sell: I've had one burst at 70psi. Get good brand stuff: for quick-connect fittings Amflo is my fave but I'm sure there are others.

Reply to
steamer

Hey Phil,

I sort of wondered if there was going to be an "As Seen On TV" tag-line coming too.

On the other hand, exhaust from other sources gets "used" for power and re-supply, so why not?!?! Exhaust turbo-chargers, exhaust steam-injectors, etc.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Move your wallet from your back pocket to a front pocket....;>)) phil

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Recycling exhaust from power tools would not save energy, but it could help keeping shop air cleaner and oil-free.

Ignoramus24925

Reply to
stans4

I sit in a factory, where they have air pipes throughout the shop. I noticed that the compressor keeps coming on, even if nobody's using any air. I asked, "Do you suppose there's a leak in all that pluming?" (It's routed along the ceining, 20' high). They said, no, the pipes have been thoroughly tested; it's the compressor seals themselves that are leaking.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I heard about an invention called "check valve". It might help!

Ignoramus10551