Aluminum allow for marine application

round - 45 degrees - painted steel

Reply to
larsen-tools

I'm thinking about welding up some aluminum trusses for use as a pier extension (fresh water). The extension would only be in use during the summer months and removed once the weather starts to turn in late September.

Am I better off with round or square tube for the truss supports? Should I set the truss supports at a 45 degree angle to the top and bottom members, or would a steeper angle be better?

Also, would 6063 be the best alloy for this?

TIA for any advice...

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

Round "pipe" is the cheapest shape to buy.

6061 is better for structural stuff. 6063 is a bit soft.

I use 6063 when I want to make curved things.

45 degrees is fine.

Weld it up using 5356 filler for better corrosion resistance.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler