another special angle drill bit

I am making a carburator for a model engine. The throat of the carb is 3/16.

The bottom of the throat (below the throttle plate) needs to be enlarged with a 1/4 inch drill with a 45 degree angle.

I figure I will drill most of the way with a standard drill bit to enlarge the 3/16 hole to 1/4. Can I use a spade bit with a 45 degree angle to finish it off and establish the angle? Would it be better to grind a twist drill into a 45 degree angle?

thanks chuck

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

When you say 45 deg, is that half the angle (i.e., it the total included angle 90 deg)? If so, you can buy "spotting drills" with a 90 deg point angle.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

You know, I'm not sure. The plans just say 45 deg angle, but I think that really means a 90 deg point. Good suggestion!

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood