Aluminum Milling Coolant ( AGAIN!!! )

Ed Huntress wrote:

Oh yeah. You need a three stage device to stick on a launch vehicle. There are only a couple of countries that can launch a bus.
--
John R. Carroll

Or a North Korean gun-trigger plutonium bomb. The gun has to be...oh, around a mile long. 'Hard to launch.
--
Ed Huntress

John wrote:

I didn't look at that link, but at IMTS there was at least one demo of cryo-machining using LN2 for coolant. It looked nifty, but I'll stick to using my LN2 for making ice cream.
Pete C. wrote:

One of the machining magazines I get had a picture of a mill using the LN2 fed through the center of the tool with a special attachment something like what you use when you don't have through the spindle coolant option. I forget which one.
John

Ask him to throw me a number if so.
bob (AT) yumabassmon (dOt) com
On 03/21/2011 12:08 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: The machine is mostly made of aluminum with some steel parts.

Why? I use flood coolant on a mill that is steel and cast iron, and have had no rusting or other problems with it. I use Encool from Engineered Lubricants, it is totally amazing stuff, and I highly recommend it. No relation other than a satisfied user.
Jon

Good water based coolant is actually a great rust preventative.
On 3/21/2011 11:13 AM, Jon Elson wrote:

Because the manufacturer of the Metal Nibbler One says, "ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE WATER BASED COOLANT ON THIS MILL." Aluminum is a very reactive metal and the majority of this machine is aluminum. (Metal Nibbler Two is about 95% aluminum.)
The short answer. "Cuz I ain't gonna."
I am not going to wash either of my little mostly aluminum mills down with water.
Did I mention that there is a cult following for water coolant guys almost as strong as the "WD-40 should never have been invented" cult.
I will most probably use a water soluble coolant on the Hurco when I get it going, but its 100% cast iron and steel. Not an issue amazingly enough for an iron and steel machine.
The following rant is not directed at any one individual:
Water is a no go for Metal Nibbler One or Two. So, given that I absolutely will not use a water based or water soluble regardless of how stupid I am and how smart you are and how superior water based coolants are and I'm to dumb to know any better I still ain't gonna, do you have good experience and recommendations with/for other options for milling aluminum?

That would indicate an ignorance on their part of what's available in water-based coolants today.
I know some little bit about the reactivity of aluminum (being in the pyrotechnics business). Its reactions with water are a matter of constant attention in my line.
Simply by adjusting the pH of an otherwise non-corrosive water solution with a suitable buffer, one can reduce the reaction potential to nil. Most modern coolants contain such buffers, and are specifically designed for certain metals. Many are designed not only to not injure, but specifically to benefit the life and surfaces of aluminum parts.
I'd add that if a mill is designed to suck water up into the motor during use, it's badly (no, I'll say stupidly and negligently) designed.
I will research this "Metal Nibbler" thing. I want to know what to avoid.
LLoyd

LOL. I never typed a single word about it sucking water up into the motor. I did type that it moves a lot of air in a previous post. Its not the original piddly little 10K spindle either. This is a 30K spindle. I did express a negative about putting any flammable mist into the air in the presence of a brush motor. (one mfg uses ethanol as referenced in my original post) That comment has absolutely nothing to do with any type of flood coolant water based or otherwise, but interesting that you picked that out for some reason and misapplied it. If it moves air out one end, then by default air must move in the other end. Bad news for a flammable coolant mist.
Metal Nibbler and Metal Nibbler Two both bare little resemblance to their original forms at this point.
As to water based coolant. Again, I'm just not going to use it on my aluminum body machines. Maybe someday I may change my mind, but not in the forseeable future.
So purely as an intellectual exercise... assume that water is 100% not available in any form. What would you use as a cutting coolant/lubricant for milling aluminum.
As to seeking out this "Metal Nibbler" good luck. For a hint you might bear in mind that I call the Hurco mill Metal Nibbler Three.

Lard oil diluted with a low vapor pressure Stoddard-type solvent.
LLoyd

Oh... yeah you did. You said a mist getting drawn in might cause sparking.
Re-read your post.
LLoyd

I did reread my post. A mist drawn in might cause an explosion if a flammable coolant was used, because a brush motor "will" have sparking. I guess I needed to spell it out more thoroughly. Figured most people would get that.
I can see though were it did look confusing.
On 3/21/2011 1:36 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

FMI: It seems from what I have read about brush motors its actually worse in dry climates and brushes tend not to last as long either.

people

Here's what you wrote, after saying water-based was not satisfactory:
"There is a lot of air moving just from the spindle motor, and there is a potential for sparks if a mist gets drawn into the motor."
The premise was stated that mist being drawn in would cause sparks.
The fact was that sparks are always there, and flammable mists are not good. That ain't what you wrote. It isn't even close. You implied that the mist would _cause_ the sparks.
... LLoyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

Just a techie nitpick - commutator brushes produce "arcs" - "sparks" are the things that a grinder makes. (although if the arcs melt or vaporize the commutator or brush material, the flying glowing things would be "sparks.") :-)
(possibly interesting to note - my automatic spell checker doesn't like "commutator" or "vaporize.")
Cheers! Rich
(snip)

I suppose your car has "arc plugs" then? How about spark-gap transmitters and switches, are they misnamed? What about the Merriam-Webster dictionary? "2 a : a luminous disruptive electrical discharge of very short duration between two conductors separated by a gas (as air) b : the discharge in a spark plug c : the mechanism controlling the discharge in a spark plug "
If there is any difference, "spark" usually refers to a transient discharge and an arc is sustained.
Why do you insist on posting so much crap in such an authoritarian manner when in fact you have no idea?
in message

Sounds to me like _you_ have no idea......that you're saying the same thing! ;>)}
anorton wrote:

Can I plead "brain fart?"
Sorry for being such a boob.
Thanks, Rich

And I apologize for being so harsh over what seems like a minor issue, but spreading false information is obviously a pet peeve of mine.