Aluminum versus steel (automotive)

A friend of mine needed a ball joint replaced, for his car.

1993 Buick station wagon. Aluminum wheels, and the old style steel only lug nuts. Two aparently fused themselves to the rims, and were a PIA to remove. Drill, pound, grind, etc.

He's going back to the tall lug nuts that came with the vehicle. Is there any kind of stuff to keep the lug nuts from sticking to the aluminum rims?

The ball joint did get replaced, but that was miserable also. And it rained during part of the work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Any auto parts store should have Permatex anti-seize in tubes and cans.

If you don't have a compressor and an impact wrench and plan on working on cars much, you really oughta get 'em. Make life _much_ easier.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Just get the correct OE lug nuts. They had a coating or a stainless steel cap that extended over the bevel.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Indeed. Even I, who live in the desert..have about 2 gallons of various anti-seize compounds, copper, bronze, aluminum etc etc.

Wonderful stuff and it gets used on EVERY wheel stud and much else I take apart and reassemble.

It makes life eversomuch easier. Both now and years from now.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch