annealing a morse centre (tips?)

message is on behalf of someone else.

they have a set of cheap cinese morese centres (MT2) which they want to cut down so they can convert the centres to arbors.

wht would be the recommended annealing method?

thanks, Des

Reply to
Des Bromilow

I did that quick & dirty by putting the (MT1s)in my wood stove to heat and dug them out of the cold ashes. Nice & soft, only a little scale that cleaned up EZ.

Reply to
Nick Hull

I annealed a J33 to MT2 adapter by putting it in a section of copper pipe with a plug at each end. Buried it in a charcoal briquet fire until the charcoal burned out. No scale and very soft.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schoenbeck

I made an MT2 tail soft enough to cut the tang off with a hacksaw by putting it in a swirl-torch flame (air-propane) - it got dull red hot and I let it air cool. Blueing went about 1 inch up the taper. No trouble sawing it; this was a "Grotz" brand, sold by BusyBee tools, cheap.

Reply to
jtaylor

Personally, my choice would be (and was) to buy blank MT-2 arbors. (I got mine from Grand Tools, FWIW.) They have the standard MT-2 shank and tang, and then end with about 1" length of 1" diameter unhardened steel.

But since they already have the Chinese centers, the advice which you have already received from others sounds good. I particularly like the capped copper pipe mentioned -- and I would suggest putting some paper in before capping it, so it will burn up and use up the oxygen trapped in there before it can create scale.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Heat it above the critical temperature and then cool it slower than the critical rate. Or in lay terms- heat it red hot and then cool it very slow. If you are using an oven just shut it down and leave it to cool in the oven. If you are using a torch just move the flame back slowly over a minute or so and allow it to air cool the rest of the way.

Reply to
tomcas