Anvil launching

I am mainly a lurker here, but I could not think of anything more appropriate for this group.

anorton

Way way way COOL!!! Yeehaw!!

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I want to see some manly men CATCH anvils!

Reply to
Buerste

which brings up a question...

Do all anvils have a powder chamber in the base? Or was that launcher modified for the job?

Reply to
cavelamb

Yes but keep your superglue handy..

Reply to
Denis G.

Now Tom, we are going to have some idiots driving their pickups around to catch them in the bed, and oops...

Reply to
DT

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 03:30:17 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch scrawled the following:

I'm reporting them to the Anvil Abuse Team immediately!

------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 06:43:26 -0400, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

Like the Chinese catch trees?

------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'd move that truck a little. Quite a shot. I'm impressed.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Reminds me of the awesome Punkin' Chunkin' contests.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I'd pay to see that!

Reply to
Buerste

LOL!

Did he win that year's Darwin award? ;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Great fun and good control of spin. But that "hundred pound anvil" looked like a sixty pound jeweler's anvil to me :-|

Mark Rand(owner of both a jeweler's anvil and a 400lb plater's anvil) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

What's a plater's anvil? Is that for mechanical plating, with a hammer?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Almost as bad as being goalie for a rifle team.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Crom...thats the FIRST new one Ive heard in years!

Can I use it in the future? I love it!!

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

An anvil used by a plater. A plater is one that prepares plates and steel sections for boilers, pressure vessels and other constructions. It's the brute force end of blacksmithing. The guy I bought it off had used it most of his working life as a Plater in the Black Country (Wolverhampton area).

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Is this connected to the reason that the UK has so much advanced manufacturing technology?

So, what do *you* do with a 400-lb anvil? It sounds like a useful thing for working out one's frustrations after a rough week at work.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

At the moment, what I do with it mostly is trip over it. It's too big for my anticipated needs, but the little jewellers anvil is somewhat on the small side. I'll probably try to pass is on to someone that can make use of it as other than a garden ornament...

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Sounds like a guy that would have muscles in his sh*t. ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes