Anyone have a Machinest's Handbook for a lookup? Pleeeze?

Please look up the strength of 3/4" black iron pipe threads.

Thanks,

Stu

Reply to
Stu

That isn't going to be the limiting factor, it's going to be the floor flange he's wanting it to screw into. The name should give a clue to the intended function and the ones I've seen lately I wouldn't want holding anything up overhead. If you've got to hang something from a ceiling, go down to the electrical supply warehouse and see what they carry for industrial lighting fixture hangers. These are made for the purpose and will have some tested architectural design limits on them. Then the question becomes one of how much hanging weight the ceiling can stand. For that, you'll need a structural engineer or architect.

The malleable iron floor flanges they sell around here have been so skeletonized for cheapness, I don't think there's much strength left in the flange part if you're going to load it in tension. Better his head than mine.

Of course, there's always the experimental approach. Hang pipe from floor flange, add weight to the bottom end until something breaks. Now you know, at least for that pipe and flange.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

Fatigue failure must be considered if there are variable loads cycles. Perhaps you should CYA, and consult a professional who tell you if this is a concern.

DJ

Reply to
DJ

Somebody just posted the CD version of this book in the alt.binaries.pictures.tools newsgroup.

Reply to
Dragon Doctor