anyone have a srap of machinable creamic?

I want to make a handle for an old tool - an arc "engraver" or marker - the tip gets hot (of course) and has destroyed much of the original bakelite handle - so, applying modern materials seems like a great idea - and machinable creamics come to mind - but buying the stuff new is both expensive and due to minimum orders, I get more than I need - anyone have a scrap about an inch in diameter and maybe 4 inches long (tubing is ok too), or a suggestion on an alternative less expensive material to use?

Reply to
William Noble

Natural materials might do; soapstone and pyrophyllite are both machinable minerals, and might be available at arts supply outlets.

We always used carbide lathe tools and HSS steel bits for pyrophyllite.

Reply to
whit3rd

--How about Corian; i.e. the stuff used for expensive kitchen countertops? Go to a shop that does fabrication and look in the scrap bin. I've heard of folks using the stuff for homemade spark plugs, so it can probably take the heat. Because it's a composite (epoxy and ground stone, IIRC) it can be machined, too.

Reply to
steamer

Alumina ceramic is usually used for this purpose. I have some, the right size also, but right now it is not available due to strange circumstances (too stupid to go into detail). Inquire around Nov 1.

Ignoramus4143

You could make one out of clay and then try going to the local Junior College and paying a ceramics student $20 fire it. Or just make it out of JB weld, -- I'd guess is that if bakelite lasted for this long, then JB weld would last at least as long. As far as I know (and please correct me if I'm wrong) Bakelite isn't especially heat resistant, at least not more than JB Weld.

Reply to
jpolaski