Anyone have about a 12" piece of railroad track they would sell me

Hi guys, I'm looking for about 12" of railroad track for a shaping anvil and I don't have a clue where to find any here in Chicago. I don't know anyone in the industry. I'll pay a reasonable amount plus shipping. And by chance if I do come across a piece in a scrap yard etc, can I cut it with a porta-band? I never had any experience cutting anything like this. also- if I can what blade should I use I assume run it slow and oily? I have a Milwaukee with a bunch of spare blades so I'm sure I have one if it is the right tool to cut with. I would also like to taper the end on one side a bit, I assume the big nasty grinder should handle that one (?)

Thanks in advance,

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

A cutoff wheel on a 4.5" angle grinder works very well to cut RR track [even old, work-hardened track] as well as for shaping it.

Unless you anneal it first, a grinding wheel will only polish it but a cutoff wheel works well.

Reply to
RAM^3

I have a piece about 18-20-inches long. But its not for sale. I have had it for 27 years as near as I can figure it. It was new when I got it, and is heavy duty high speed type. (RR track comes in different size and weight depending on where it will be used).

Every now and then I get the grinder/cutoff wheel and go to work on it. According to my calculations I should have it shaped the way I want it about the middle of the 2071. Only problem is I don't thing I will be around then. Turning a piece of RR track into an anvil is one of those projects that sound good, but takes a heck of a lot more work than you would think. Why? Well aren't anvils cast in the basic shape from iron/steel, then the edges smoothed out, and case hardened as required. They are definately not shaped that way with a hand file from a big block or raw material.

If I were serious about making an anvil out of RR track I think I would use a plasma cutter/cutting torch to rough shape it first.

My advice would be do as I did, just go buy an anvil, and use the RR track as a door stop, counter weight etc. Right now my piece is holding down the end of a frame that has a 40hp outboard I am working on, at the other end, hanging off a work bench.

Reply to
Diamond Jim

The last time I was at my local scrap yard, there were several pieces of railroad track there. I would be happy to buy a piece for you and send it to you, but you ought to be able to find some a lot closer to you. I am just west of Seattle.

You might also consider crane rail. Looks much like railroad rail, but can be bigger.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Take a piece of railroad track and toss it into a bonfire. Get it nice and red hot, then cover it with the ashes and let it cool slowly. It will machine easily once its been annealed. The material is a work hardening steel, so used track is very tough to machine unless annealed. Ive made, or roughed out a number of RR track anvils for guys in my area on the milling machines, once they have brought me annealed track.

I keep several pieces of various sizes on the work benches, and on the welding table for hold downs, fast anvils etc etc

Gunner

Gunner

Crane rail??? Ooooo good stuff for anvil making...nice and big, some of it. Old ship and navy yards used to use some biggggg stuff

Gunner

Gunner

Chicago is a big city, if you tell me where you live and I can prolly find you some rail.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Postma

My "new" shop is going to be located near Canal and the river (pending zoning for my noise permit variance for the dyno.) Right near the marina. . I can meet you to pick it up and pay for it. I live downtown on Michigan Ave.

Thanks Greg!

Rob

Reply to
RDF

Upp... If it's metal Ernie can make it happen... I just need this for an "Attempt" to start making dry sump oil pans and for fitting up some of the parts with the concave bevel and this is a perfect material for the forming. It should be just what I need. It will double as a door-stop too. I can't find crane rail, I called a few scrap yards and they don't have time for me obviously. There is a Metra depot about 1/2 mile from my proposed new shop but they are super strict. I asked a maint. guy in a truck and he said they would be immediately fired for taking any material, scrap or not so I dropped it there with the rail-road. I do play by the rules and the last thing I want to go is get a guy in trouble for simply helping me out.

To all of you with the suggestions I thank you, If a chunk of taller crane or even regular rail happens my way I'll be happy. Also, thanks for answering the cutting & shaping stuff.

Respects,

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

Rob, You shouldn't have a problem with a noise permit. Are you gonna be near the ready mix plant?

I'll look around and get back to you in a couple of days, I know where a "mountain" of crane rail and main line track is over in East Chicago. No, not the lake front, E.Chgo In. As a matter of fact, I think that I might be able to rustle up an old anvil if that would help (I had some industrial space in E.C. and kept tripping over the dam thing...... I can prolly come up with a bunch of "heavy" scrap..... I'll "inventory" the scrap pile and get back to you.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Postma

Thanks Greg,

I am actually having a problem with the zoning as it's south of the river, south of the mixing plant (If you mean the one seen off of I55 S) I had to list noise \ health \ environmental concerns on the business license application I'm also open to other space too by the way- If you know someone with shop space who need to rent it out in this crap economy I'm game... My only issues are I work late, and I work loud from the dyno and tuning of my dragster as well as client cars. Top alcohol cars shake a few windows for a good distance. I guess I'm my own worst enemy with neighbors. I'm starting a turbine project too so I need a fair amount of workable shop space. An anvil and/or track would be awesome!

Thanks a million for looking for me, I greatly appreciate it!

Rob

Reply to
RDF

if your saw has a deep throat, otherwise pick up a #8 OA cutting tip.

Reply to
mkm