Adjusting a Chester Metal Cutting Bandsaw to cut square

I have a small Chester H110 metal cutting band saw which periodically decides to cut less square than I would like. When I first bought it, it cut decidely squint, but the cause was obiously work shifting in the "rapid action" vice and Chester duly replaced it with one which works properly.

The user guide is not too helpful on this point, it says "unplug machine, loosen nuts, adjust, tighten nut, reconnect power" but gives no idea what "adjust" should involve.

On dismantling I found the boss on one of the band pulleys was still rough from the casting and this was binding, but this was rectified in the lathe.

Now it cuts pretty square; at least well enough to cut bar section to face off in the lathe, but having used other metal cutting band saws I think it could be better. Does anyone know of a book/article on adjusting/improving these machines? I'm quite happy to make modifications to the machine if they will make it work better.

Alan Bain

Reply to
Alan Bain

When the blades get a bit worn ...they usually dont cut square

Because you are pushing the work harder into the blade for the same results ..which makes the blade distort...on these smaller machines.

try changing for a new one ...and see ..

if it makes no difference ... come back

all the best.mark

Reply to
mark

When the blades get a bit worn ...they usually dont cut square

Because you are pushing the work harder into the blade for the same results ..which makes the blade distort...on these smaller machines.

try changing for a new one ...and see ..

if it makes no difference ... come back

all the best.mark Also be aware that the blade must be uniform on both sides to cut straight. If it was initially manufactured poorly or has been dulled on one side it will cut toward the sharp side in spite of any alignment efforts. You might want to try a new high quality blade.

Don Young (USA)

Reply to
Don Young

Thanks for the advice. I have just fitted a new blade and it makes a huge difference; on taking the old one into the house the teeth are positively rounded. Now cutting much more squarely, but still not as good as I would hope for. Cut is square in the direction of the blade, but not in the vertical plane.

I'm suprised that it wore out so soon; it was a Chester carbon steel blade which has been on the machine since I bought it, but I am only using it as a light amateur user mainly to save effort when cutting steel sections to put in the lathe so probably the machine has made a maximum of say

100 cuts. I would probably have been better off with a small hacksaw machine, but they seemed very much more expensive than metal cuting bandsaws and I had previously used a Warco one successfully in a club.

Replacement is also a Chester blade so I'll see how long it lasts!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain

Is this bandsaw one of the ones with three speed pulleys on the motor/gearbox. If so, what speed is the saw set to? I find that my little 6"x4" bandsaw cuts quite reasonably on the slowest setting (65ft/min).

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Yes; it's on the slowest speed which the manual suggests is 65fpm as I mainly use it to cut steel.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Bain