Anyone heard of cheap small PSA Nitrogen/Oxygen generators?

I've been thinking... (Yeah, that can be dangerous...)

They've been making Oxygen generators for years for medical uses, and the Nitrogen tire filling craze is upon us... And both gases are used a lot in the home shop and small industrial settings, too.

And Murphy has it rigged that you always seem to run out of gas at the worst possible moment, like 5 minutes after the local supplier has closed for the weekend. Or you live on an island, or on top of a mountain three hours out of the closest town...

But the only price I can find for a small PSA Nitrogen system is $5,000 from Ingersoll-Rand, and nothing on Oxygen system pricing (though I didn't look that hard on that side).

And since the system is basically passing the one gas through to the storage tank, and adsorbing and throwing out the other, couldn't you use one machine, two storage tanks, and have them both? Conveniently separated, the Oxygen stored at anything above 50 PSI which is plenty for welding and cutting, and the Nitrogen for tires and a shield/purge gas?

And since it's for shop use, neither gas needs to be 99.999+% pure, or USP certified, or rated for gas chromatography machine usage - it just has to work, and not take up an acre of floor space. That should lower the price significantly. Let the buyer supply their own two stage compressor and air dryer, any decent shop needs them anyway.

There's a market niche to be filled here... Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, are you listening?

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

from 0,9 - 216 Nm3/hour priced accordingly @ 80 - 90% "Based on our well proven Oxygen Generator Systems. Oxymat A/S is developing a new standard series of PSA Nitrogen Generators"

Somebody has been reading our newsgroup.;)

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... | I've been thinking... (Yeah, that can be dangerous...) | | They've been making Oxygen generators for years for medical uses, | and the Nitrogen tire filling craze is upon us... And both gases are | used a lot in the home shop and small industrial settings, too. | | And Murphy has it rigged that you always seem to run out of gas at | the worst possible moment, like 5 minutes after the local supplier has | closed for the weekend. Or you live on an island, or on top of a | mountain three hours out of the closest town... | | But the only price I can find for a small PSA Nitrogen system is | $5,000 from Ingersoll-Rand, and nothing on Oxygen system pricing | (though I didn't look that hard on that side). | | And since the system is basically passing the one gas through to the | storage tank, and adsorbing and throwing out the other, couldn't you | use one machine, two storage tanks, and have them both? Conveniently | separated, the Oxygen stored at anything above 50 PSI which is plenty | for welding and cutting, and the Nitrogen for tires and a shield/purge | gas? | | And since it's for shop use, neither gas needs to be 99.999+% pure, | or USP certified, or rated for gas chromatography machine usage - it | just has to work, and not take up an acre of floor space. That should | lower the price significantly. Let the buyer supply their own two | stage compressor and air dryer, any decent shop needs them anyway. | | There's a market niche to be filled here... Harbor Freight, | Northern Tool, are you listening? | | -->-- |

Reply to
Mungo Bulge

This is how you do it. If nobody tells you that you cant do it than you can. Go for it.

problem with using one system to produce both gasses appears to be in the cleansing or purge cycle of the sieve. In both cases, the unwanted gases are purged rapidly to cleanse the sieve. However, maybe you could purge a Zeolite sieve into a vacuum, then pump the "waste" a Nitrogen storage tank.

[...]

I have a Xorbox unit for sale that was used for generating oxygen for a veterinary lab. Contact me off group if you are interested.

mark~at~maxmachine~dot~com