Anyone own or have information about professional rock tumblers?

Hi,

I'm trying to work out how much power I need to turn a rock tumbler barrel, or more precisely how large a barrel I can turn with a particular motor. I have a nice little shaded pole induction motor which is rated at 30 W and runs at 1425 rpm (probably the full load speed is somewhat lower). Does anyone own a small professional tumbler? If so I'd be very grateful to know the information on the motor data plate, the barrel capacity and barrel diameter. The Thumler Model B tumbler looks to use a motor similar to mine and has a 15 lb capacity, but I can't find an official figure for the motor rating anywhere. I was thinking of perhaps two 1.5 lb barrels or two 2.25 kg barrels, depending on cost and availability. The rubber barrels seem very expensive (£30 upwards for a

6"). Anyone know why or where I might get them cheaper in the UK?

There's a picture of my motor here:

Ignoramus, let me know how your project goes. I'm planning on building a nice desktop model rather than a hardcore redneck model (not enough space in the shed!) but I'd be interested to share experiences and pictures.

Many thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

take a look at portable cement mixers for a starting point.

Reply to
Blue Skies

These are a little bigger than the tumbler I'm planning to make! I'm thinking of a desktop model with a barrel diameter of perhaps 6".

By the way, has anyone thought of making a wind powered rock tumbler? You could perhaps have a wind turbine with a shaft descending to ground level and driving a concrete mixer type drum? Just a thought...

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Reply to
JR North

The power required depends upon how unbalanced the barrel is also. One load of rocks will probably just use a small motor while another load will need a larger motor. A 30W motor will probably turn an 8" barrel properly loaded without problems. I'll note that if you get some flat rubber, you can attach it to the two sides and the round part without any problems. Don't try riveting or screwing it to the barrel as the rivets or screws will just be eroded off.

Bob May

Thanks to Bob and Jason - that's some useful information. It looks like I'm looking the the right kind of motors. I also did a calculation which suggests that a very badly loaded 6.5" drum weighing 3 kg and turning at

40 rpm requires about 10 W (not allowing for inefficiencies in the drive train). I just need to decide between a motor which is 30 W at 1350 rpm and one which needs some fixing but is 40 W at 850 rpm.

Thanks for the advice,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy