Homebrew stud extractor

You know when you want to extract a short, unbroken stud from a casting without damaging it, but it's stuck tight? Well I never found a good way. But I had an idea this afternoon. I took a hex nut, cut a radial slit through the nut, screwed it onto the stud, and squeezed it tight in a mole wrench. So it worked a bit like a collet. It turned the stud out easily. Here's a picture:

No doubt someone else has had the same idea in the past, but I was pleased with it. Might help someone else. I'd be interested to hear how it works for other people.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

You were lucky to have enough thread to get the nut onto. When otherwise I use this technique.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Two good ideas there. I have a broken stud to get out of an exhaust manifold and will definitely try the mig method - if those stupid disposable canisters have got any gas left!

NHH

Reply to
NHH

I'm probably a lousy mig welder but when I have resorted to this the weld metal seems to be attracted to the nut, which gets hot, and not to the stud, producing poor fusion to the stud.

I've wondered if tig would do better but never tried.

Whilst I have had some success using mig I have also had to resort to drilling out and re tapping oversize.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Just the heat of welding to the stud stump is often enough to loosen it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley