Leatherman recomendations

Last night as I was tightening a door knob at my wife's friend's house, single mother so not much gets fixed around the house so I tend to
tighten/fix up all kinds of random stuff when we visit, I wished again I had something in my pocket other than a standard pocket knife so as of this morning I informed SWMBO that I want a Leatherman type pocket knife for my birthday. Question is which one and another question is, is Leatherman the way to go or does someone else make something similar or better. I figured since I've seen lots of posts mentioning Leathermans this would be the group to ask, especially Gunner since I think he sleeps with his ;) I was looking at the Leatherman FUSE, knife, pliers, phillips, flat, scissors and bottle opener and when I went looking for where to get one Walmart popped up. They also carry the CHARGE TTI which looks really interesting, basically a small took kit, even has a saw. Now since my significant other works at the Beast we get a discount, making the Charge TTI roughly double the cost of the FUSE, not too bad in my opinion but I'm wondering if there is too much going on with the CHARGE TTI as to make it either difficult or impossible to use and/or carry regularly. I'm the IT guy for my company so things like screw drivers, wire cutters and plyers are something I really could use but if the additional stuff, saw, file, etc don't add much to the weight or mess up the other functionality then I might lean toward the bells and whistles version. The other thing is that the CHARGE TTI has Ti handles and I'm guessing possibly it'll handle a bit more abuse than the regular steel ones, that and the 'cool' factor, in my opinion, of 'Titanium' pocket knife :) So does anyone out there have either of these two knifes and could give me the low down or them or an opinion of the Leathermans in general or other specific models? One other thing, can you carry these in your pocket or is it a better idea to have the belt case? I was thinking it might be a bit hard on my pockets and I also wasn't sure if the knife locks closed so it wouldn't pop open if I stuck it in my front pants pocket.
Thanks
Bill
Bill wrote:

I looked at the various offerings for some time while concluding that nearly all were significantly overpriced and typically had "features" with little real world use. What I eventually found on sale for $25 at Target (regular $30) is the Gerber (a.k.a. Fiskars) "Suspension" multitool which has everything you likely need without the fluff or inflated price. I've had it for some time now and used it extensively without issues, everything from sawing heavy poly bed liner material to the usual screw driving and pliar functions.
Pete C.
"Pete C." wrote:

Oh yea, I also like the fact that it's pretty compact due to the way it folds, all the tools lock open for safety, and the belt holster works well in the horizontal mode.
Pete C.

One other question, can the bits in a Leatherman be purchased and replaced? I mean if I would round over the phillips bit or break off the knife blade can I buy replacement parts and fix it myself or would I have to send it back to Leatherman to get it fixed? I'm assuming these are repairable items?? I'd hate to pay big bucks for a pocketknife, break the blade doing something dumb and then not be able to get it fixed.
Bill
the latherman is held together by a 5 sided security bit that i think is a leatherman proprietary one
they claim the tool has a 25 year warranty but as far as i know it is a SHIP AWAY warranty. It takes a lot to hurt one. I own a WAVE and use it extensively and the only think i've needed to ao di resharpen the knife blade
Bill wrote:

No spring, no popping open. Friction keeps it closed, plus it's two steps to get a knife out. Hard on the pocket though.
I have one from when there was only one kind, and it's still in good shape, without any overpriced Titanium.
Beware excess "features", they just mean a bigger, clunkier thing that's more of a chore to haul around and make space for.
That has knife, file, phillips, 3 sizes of flat, bottle/can opener, awl/drill, and the pilers/cutters. Closest thing to it seems to be the "kick", also the lightest full-sized, not coincidentally. You won't miss the file...
I also have one I ended up buying when that one went missing for a while. It traded the "awl/drill" blade for a pair of scissors, which I use much more than I use the awl/drill. However, it also added a non-needed (you simply close the handles) "blade locking mechanism" that makes it at least 1/8 inch fatter.
The files on both suck, IMHO. The later one has one side diamond. Probably OK, but of very limited application. Unfortunately, the better side of the old single cut/double cut file was the single-cut side, and they replaced that with the diamond, leaving you with diamond and a seriously inferior double-cut file (either stainless is a terrible thing to make files out of, or they don't pay much attention to the file quality).
I can imagine the saw, and I find it very hard to imagine enough use for a 4 inch long saw to make it worth dragging around.

I have the one with the self-locking pliers, what we would call a Mole wrench in the UK. This will cut quite tough wire, you can use it as an emergency spanner even on a rounded nut (of course a good nut gets rounded if you don't clamp it tight enough), and you can use it for crimping.
British bikers of my generation usually carried a mole wrench so that they could still change gear after the (foot change) pedal dropped off, which happened regularly when the vibration shook the bolt out. Actually it never happened to me (but then I rode Velocettes).
Newshound wrote:

You didn't have Locktite or an equivalent there?

You never rode a Triumph, then.
Newshound wrote:

Nope.
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:35:08 -0000, "Newshound"

Indeed...
Gunner, once owned a Bonny and a Daytona
Gunner
"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits" John Griffin
Pete C. wrote:

Reminds me of the classic British Bike Joke
Q.Did you hear that the Triumph factory solved its oil leak problems? A.Yes - they bought a tube of Silastic...
Andrew VK3BFA.

Google is my friend. "mole wrench" is what we call vise grips.
Half the time I use my leatherman I need a second tool and I carry the smallest vise grips (4 inches long?) along. It's occured to me to carry a second, complementary multi-function tool, instead, but I'm not that compulsive.
--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
Harrison for Congress in NY 13CD www.harrison06.com
wrote:

I pack a Victorinox (swiss army people). Damn fine tool. The knife means business, the saw is scary sharp and the file is blazingly hard. The whole tool is built to last with some not-so-obvious functions thrown in that are at the least, entertaining.
Just be sittin' down when you get a peek at the price!
--
Regards.
Ken.
Newshound wrote:

What are the odds....I still do. thruxton500 VMT692 :)
I've carried a Leatherman (the regular one, not the Wave) for a couple years now (not at school, of course) and I find it really useful. It's not too big, particularly thick, even when in the nylon holster, which is good since I don't wear a belt to put the holster on. I've only had two major screwups with the thing: A) trying to cut some large steel wire with the wire cutters, which left a burr on the wire cutter (at the base of the pliers) so the pliers get stuck closed a lot. B) I was tightening some battery terminals with the screwdriver on some 12 V motorcycle batteries (For those who aren't familiar, they put out about 200 amps for 30 seconds at a time) when I inadvertently touched the handle of the tool to the other terminal (my hand was holding onto the handle, but the whole thing is metal). Needless to say, it shot sparks across the room, giving me both a significant jolt and a not small burn on my little finger where it was closest to the back of the tool. It also blew off half of the screwdriver blade and made a small hole on the backside of the knife (entry and exit points for the current). I still use the same knife, however. I would say the serrated knife gets the most use, followed by the Phillips screwdriver, the straight knife, the pliers, and the scissors. The saw is useful for starting cuts that are too tough for the knife, but the file is almost worthless (it works on fingernails, though). I wish it were in some way detachable so that I could use the diamond hone on the back to sharpen the tool itself, rather than only being able to sharpen other tools. I do think that the blade locking mechanism is excellent, and can be operated with one hand (although it's easier with two). Hope this helps make a decision, ww88
Bill wrote:

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-600-blunt-nose-tool-kit-7510.htm http://www.gerber-tools.com/
Yes..the black nylon belt case. When it wears out in 3-5 yrs..go to a gun show and pick up an EMT belt case, with room for the multitool, a MiniMag, etc etc. Some of the 99c store also have been carrying a rather decent for the price, belt case with pockets, belt clip and so forth. I can even keep a mini-multi meter in one.
Or if you want to keep it simple..a magazine pouch for a hi cap pistol magazine. Nylon.
btw..check around for best prices on the multi-tool. Big 5 Sporting goods often runs very cheap prices/sales on them, as well as Ebay.
Gunner wrote:

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-600-blunt-nose-tool-kit-7510.htm

When the holster for my Gerber "Suspension" wears out, I'll just toss the tool in one of my many toolboxes and buy another one for the $30 to keep on my belt. It's got everything I need and a whole lot more sane price tag than the $90 ones. The carbide insert cutters on the higher end ones are nice, but not nice enough to justify the much higher price.
Pete C.
<snip>

My appologies Gunner, I thought I'd remembered a thread about Leathermans that included you saying you used one. Next time I google first before making the smart assed comments. Have you used both brands? I think I'll get more use out of a Needle nose type pliers so for me it might be 600 Needlenose version although the 600 Pro Scout Needlenose looks interesting. Anyone know if the saw blade and file can be replaced when they get worn out?
Bill

I'm not sure about a leatherman, but these can be replaced and/or customized according to which options you prefer:
http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=SOG31 http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=SOG63
I had a SOG for years and it was by far my favorite multi-tool. Matter of fact, I just ordered a new one. Th' last one was stolen. Anyway, it's designed so when one uses th' pliers and closes them, there's still room for fingertips inbetween th' handles. No more pinching and blood letting <g>. It's a good solid tool and comes with a lifetime guarantee.
Snarl