Applying sledgehammer to computer hard drives

I had a surprising experience recently. I took a couple of hard drives and tried to destroy them with a 8 lb sledgehammer. I put a hard drive on an anvil

Then I hit it with a sledgehammer, expecting part to fly away and to see the hard drive utterly demolished. But no such thing occurred.

Barely any damage was visible on the drive (though, probably, it would no longer function). After many more hits, finally, the hard drive was shoring visible deformation of its frame. I am rather amazed as to how tough the hard drives are.

Ignoramus17253

My God, you have WAY too much time on your hands!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'm not that much amazed how weak your are.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

High velocity data destruction works much better. 7 Rem. Mag. at 100 yds. will punch straight through all platters and cause enough shock to shatter the cast aluminum frame. .22 LR will stop by the second platter BTW.

Reply to
Pete C.

Waste of a couple of large rare-earth magnets (per drive) you could get by disassembling (sometimes only 1, sometimes a few tiny ones as well).

Not to mention nice aluminum for casting, when you strip off the other crap, and some reasonable bearings. Sledgehammer - how...subtle.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Iggy needs to start an apple orchard or a brush company.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net...

I needed a few of the magnets. Drill out pins, screw, .... Used a large 5lb hammer. Hit on the sides, pull the cover off... get your powerful magnets...

xman

Reply to
xmradio

Regarding a comment that I have too much time on my hands -- the hope was to SAVE time by just hitting the drive with a sledgehammer.

Ignoramus17253

The magnets inside the drive have to be the coolest things on the planet! They are a pain to deal with but once you get them out they are very useful to have around if anyone has never pulled one apart I'd recommend it just for the parts.

At the bank I worked for we had a drill press that we sent all the drives to that were being sunset. While I agree shooting them would be way more fun we needed to document the destruction of the platters and a 3/8" hole did the trick. (Then we scammed the magnets!)

Reply to
RDF

You can buy them by the hundred on eBay, for not too much, in my more useful shapes. I have a lot of rare earth magnets and they are very useful, but extracting them from hard drives is not cost effective (I tried).

Ignoramus17253

this is something i've been wondering about, i mean, not a LOT but was wondering. the thread about a way to slow down a windmill using magnets and a non-ferrous disc creating eddy effects... wouldn't a computer hard drive do the same thing? fast spinning non-ferrous disc spinning rapidly near a rare earth magnet? wouldn't you need at a certain point like a 3/4 hp motor to spin the disc in a hard drive?

Reply to
William Wixon

Not surprising,

If you take one apart before you sledge it, you'll see the base plate is a sollid chunk of casting, they have to be to maintain the close tolerances.

The main spindle that the platters are on is in the center of the device so if you smacked it in the center your sledge was pretty much striking a sollid round piece of metal that got pushed directly on to the anvil, ya might as well have his a 2 inch round aluminum.

Best way to get maximun destruction in one blow would be to grab it in a vise about a 1/3 of the way up, below what would be the spindle and the hole it goes through, then smack the shit out of it, you'll have a better chance of cracking the base plate casting where the spindle goes through.

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

Hummmm...I wonder if I should send him an e-book on improvised explosives.......

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Of course, everyone should have a copy of that as well as the military explosives tech manual... I expect we'll be needing them in the next few years...

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@snet.net:

I've got a couple of them floating around and always wondered how acurate they really are. (Puts tinfoil hat on) I've heard rummers that alot out there are intentially buggered up just enough to screw up (read 'screw up' as cause major body parts to move in oposite directions) to whoever might actually try to use the recipes or procedures. (Takes off tinfoil hat)

I do wish I could get my hands on info I could reasonably trust.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Try a highschool chemistry book,

This ain't rocket science..

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

Geez Gunner,

I figured you'd have offered to give him a few rounds 357 :-)

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

It's pretty easy to just take the hard drive apart with hand tools, no sledgehammer required.

Reply to
Jedd Haas

All it takes is some tiny Torx (usually), a Phillips (often) and less than 3 minutes. No drilling or hammer required. Bet it takes me less time to take one apart than Iggy spent hammering.

Helps to remember that every "do not remove" label is c> this is something i've been wondering about, i mean, not a LOT but was

No. The magnets are off to one side of the disc, driving the head. They are in pole pieces that make for a very powerful field between the magnets (there's a coil on the head mechanism back-end that sits in-between there), but which also help to contain the field there. If you had them in a position to cause eddy currents, you'd destroy the magnetic data on the drive surface.

Note - some very old drives don't have such nice magnets - they have a stepper motor, but that's usually obvious from the outside of the drive.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

When I needed to kill a data drive from where I used to work, a minute or two with the o/a torch did the job for me. :)

Wes

Reply to
Wes