Utility to burn in new hard drive?

Are there any utilities which can burn-in a new hard drive before I start to use it?

Reply to
Joe S

No point in doing that.

You can use something like HDTach if you want, or use smartctl to run the smart test mode forever.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Run the HDD manufacturers diagnostics, including the full read/write surface scan. Same for scandisk, surface testing.

Fill it with data, then copy it off again. Personally I never trust a new drive for at least a few weeks, only mirrored data goes onto it.

As for one-system-one-drive type of burn in, not really, at most you can again run the manufacturers diagnostics if they'll run, and try installing windows/other-OS.

Reply to
kony

If the drive has a jumper labelled SS (Self Seek), this will give it a jolly good work through with just the power connected. Unfortunately, this has become quite rare on disks nowadays, whereas it was once quite standard.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote

Virtually all can do that now using smart, invoked with something like smartctl.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I would use CX command (random seeks untill stoped) from MHDD

-- Alan Kakareka Data Recovery Service

Reply to
Alan Kakareka

Scandisk with multiple surface scan?? (after you format it)

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

You do NOT have to burn in a harddrive.

Reply to
DaveW

The theory being that burning it in will reveal faults (that won't show up until used a bit) in areas that can then be locked away from use. Or, if a significant number, trigger the return of the drive to the vendor.

Reply to
Don Freeman

Not really. Infant mortality for HDDs is pretty low these days, so burn-in does not help much. Same is generally true for semiconductors. It used to be different.

Hiwever if you really want to burn in, then just put the drive under higher load for some time. I used to do this by compiling Linux kernels in a loop.

Arno

Reply to
Arno Wagner

True if you don't care whether the drive works.

Reply to
Matt

Just crank up some memory hog application that handles files bigger than your ram and you will thrash the hell out of the drive as it pages the data in and out. Sound Forge with a big audio file or some video editor springs to mind.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hard drives do not require any burning in.

Reply to
Mxsmanic

maybe try an anal burner ?

Reply to
Ryze Edup

I extend the mistrust to the disks entire llifespan... It's volatile memory... backup procedures, redundancy etc..

Are there any drives that one could submit to diagnostics ALL the time, that transmit "condition data" to the mobo/OS constantly ?

Reply to
Osiris

Defining "burn in" as compressing a weeks normal operation into an , say, hour ?

Is it "generally accepted", that a virgin HD will only decease within

1 hour or after 5 years of operation ?
Reply to
Osiris

Vendors have already done that. Prompt failures after their testing are rare.

Reply to
Mxsmanic

You know within seconds if the drive works. "Burning it in" accomplishes nothing.

Reply to
Mxsmanic

With devices such as disk drives, if they don't fail within an hour or two, they'll probably run for years. Vendors exercise drives to reduce the incidence of the former. As a result, drives that survive a very brief infancy will likely remain reliable for a very long time.

Reply to
Mxsmanic

Osiris wrote

Yep, that's what SMART is about.