Utility to burn in new hard drive?

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:04:52 +0200, Mxsmanic Gave us:

"Vendors" slap the friggin' box together and ship it!

Where do you guys get this crap from?

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:14:34 +0100, Jaxx Gave us:

I will NOT buy a MaxTurd hard drive, nor would I ever recommend doing so.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 04:39:07 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

I still like the eight or nine drive raid configuration where even if a drive does take a dump, NO data gets lost, and the replaced drive gets the data image rebuilt automatically.

THAT is the most reliable method, and if this guy IS running a business, and is setting up a server that he wants to be completely reliable, this IS the best option.

SCSI and IDE raid controllers that perform that level of raid array are not cheap though.

I am in the process of making a eight or nine drive raid level 3 array with laptop drives. I may even set it up for hot swap for repairs on the fly.

Laptop form factors are the future of hard drives. 3.5" is on its way out. Perpendicular technology will usher that in.

Less is more, and more fits on less! Couldn't be more perfect.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:16:14 +0100, Jax Gave us:

Drive experiencing early failure modes or infant mortalities are found at the factory burn in labs.

Where do you guys get this bullshit from?

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On 28 Jul 2006 15:20:06 GMT, Arno Wagner Gave us:

Absolutely true.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:58:59 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra" Gave us:

You're an idiot. Surface flaws get found and get mapped out AUTOMATICALLY, and transparently.

Component failures get found at the factory. Get thyself a clue.

Not at all. Testing labs at manufacturing facilities are decades ahead of what was done years ago. Chip technology has led to MTBFs that are reliable and easily provable. One in perhaps a thousand drives might get through to a consumer with a flaw. Likely even less.

LOWER, dipshit.

Like you are still informed enough to know what has changed in the realm. It is obvious that you are not.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:45:00 +0200, Osiris Gave us:

What makes you think that ANY hard drive sold today is "virgin"?

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:53:08 +1000, "Rod Speed" Gave us:

No. Only a small percentage fail AT ALL.

If you have experienced more than one hard drive failure in your life, you are doing something wrong, like not maintaining your PC's case temp correctly, or some other USER negligence.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 17:02:11 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra" Gave us:

Idiot. ALL IDE hard drives AUTOMATICALLY "catch" and map out bad sectors transparently to both the user and the host OS.

Try again, dipshit.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 21:37:26 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra" Gave us:

You are at the wrong level. You are at OS level here. IDE controllers do this AUTOMATICALLY.

MaxTurd is the cheapest brand for a reason.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 00:49:47 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra" Gave us:

You're an idiot ALL platters have bad sectors and all drives automatically detect and map them out, and there is even extra space on the drive so that such mappings do not even decrease capacity unless the amount is too great.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:57:22 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra" Gave us:

controlled by the BIOS, ATAPI/SCSI/RAID. It accesses the

in what order, how many loops...

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 11:51:41 -0500, David Maynard Gave us:

yep. Don't expect to keep your data with the test that would actually produce results.

Excellent and true point.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

On 29 Jul 2006 01:08:18 GMT, Arno Wagner Gave us:

Although quite labor intensive.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

FIRST CORRECT THING HAVE POSTED!

Reply to
John Doe

Nonsense. HDDs can sore disgnostice, but they are servers, i.e. they do not push diagnostic data. It has to be polled.

Arno

Reply to
Arno Wagner

With decent scripting, not at all. Don't know whether the "market leader" has finally added a shell that allows to do that to its product....

Arno

Reply to
Arno Wagner

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 03:15:15 GMT, John Doe Gave us:

I must have been typing so fast that my thought didn't make it into the sentence. Between thing and have should be the word "you".

Although that should be obvious to anyone with an IQ above 45.

Reply to
Phat Bytestard

Your live in a nut(t)shell.

Pity you obviously never made it into that category.

Reply to
Folkert Rienstra

Phat Bytestard wrote

Yep, only a few tho. Almost all do it in SMART now.

And thats much more convenient too, no need to pull the drive out to get at the jumpers, start it using smartctl etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed