Utility to burn in new hard drive?

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:20:08 +1000, "Rod Speed"

There are no "pallet loads" outside the package, you retarded fuck.
Thanks for executing yourself with your own stupidity.

Every drive that was originally part of a pallet load has be moved off that pallet at some time before it ends up as an individual drive in the hands of the end user, fuckwit child.
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:35:44 +1000, "Rod Speed"

Yes, and that pallet is loaded with drives which are already in their shipping packages, dipshit. You have again defeated your entire argument.
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
just the puerile shit thats always pouring from the back of it.
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:21:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"

So really all you amount to is a troll fucktard. Figures.
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
just the puerile shit thats always pouring from the back of it.
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:36:03 +1000, "Rod Speed"

You do not even deserve responses. You should be on my filter list, if I had one. I can however easily ignore you manually.
Nothing you say is worth a shit anyway. You are not an engineer, and you very likely put together PCs for someone else.
A mere assembly twit... that is all you are.
Some gutless fuckwit desperately cowering behind
just the puerile shit thats always pouring from the back of it.
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:33:21 +1000, "Rod Speed"

I noticed that you never did answer the question about how many Gs are placed on an item dropped from 4 feet up.
Guess what, fucktard? It isn't anywhere near 250Gs.

Irrelevant to whether that can fuck a drive, fuckwit child.

You're a terminal pig ignorant fuckwit.

Never ever said it did, cretin.

Not a shred of evidence that you are actually capable of thought.

Guess which pathetic little pig ignorant prat has just got egg all over its silly little face, yet again ?
<reams of your puerile shit any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed where it belongs>
On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 01:13:24 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
As if you make contributions.
Jon D <jon nomail.com> wrote:

In my opinion, cross-posting to (alt.engineering.electrical) made this thread off topic to begin with.

A hard drive can fail at any time without warning. The solution is to keep copies of your data, either in real-time or by periodic/regular backups.

<pKCdnXe6S5vW2FTZnZ2dnUVZ_q6dnZ2d comcast.com> <ONdyg.6549$Oh1.3053 news01.roc.ny> <m9ilc256obpuhdsdmng780kkprfeikl3sh 4ax.com> <yyofYpCHTEzEFwWZ jasper.org.uk> <emspc2l4nihuuputenfvu681bhq18tf44n 4ax.com> <ut5qc219dfnsbt0dbjuqtu06k4dsh4u5gh 4ax.com> <Xns9814D979ACE4A74C1H4 127.0.0.1> <mo98d29cpgihaa0di8olmlk82vnqjmttfq 4ax.com>

alt.comp.hardware:317197 alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:473073 alt.engineering.electrical:180691

I am talkinh about electrical failure as well as mechanical failure. I guessed that alt.engineering.electrical knew more than a little about failure of electronic boards.

That's true. But I don't want the backup to be on my new drive if it is likely to fail! IYSWIM.
Joe S <js foldback.net> wrote:

You may as well have been asking them for advice about which hard drive to buy. And of course that would be off-topic too.

Buy a reliable hard drive.

newsdst01.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.com!newscon04.news.prodigy.net! prodigy.net!newshub.sdsu.edu!newsfeed-east.nntpserver.com! nntpserver.com!statler.nntpserver.com!news-out.octanews.net! indigo.octanews.net!authen.yellow.readfreenews.net.POSTED!not-for-mail
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc -homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical
<pKCdnXe6S5vW2FTZnZ2dnUVZ_q6dnZ2d comcast.com> <ONdyg.6549$Oh1.3053 news01.roc.ny> <m9ilc256obpuhdsdmng780kkprfeikl3sh 4ax.com> <yyofYpCHTEzEFwWZ jasper.org.uk> <emspc2l4nihuuputenfvu681bhq18tf44n 4ax.com> <ut5qc219dfnsbt0dbjuqtu06k4dsh4u5gh 4ax.com> <Xns9814D979ACE4A74C1H4 127.0.0.1> <mo98d29cpgihaa0di8olmlk82vnqjmttfq 4ax.com> <Xns9819D4854D57217E53A 127.0.0.1> <Xns9819A3B0754570123456789 207.115.17.102>

9md5:h`7[fI?b`SBjabJ[]JdbSe<PQ0\L;5hU\CD0S;JPno
alt.comp.hardware:317271 alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:473098 alt.engineering.electrical:180711

I think I know what you mean but I guess you are much more of a martinet than I am!

You say "Buy a reliable hard drive" to avoid problems with a backup on a new drive if it's likely to fail.
What hard drive would you buy which you define as "reliable" such that it is more reliable than what I might have bought and will not fail in its early life?

ALL hard drive manufacturers produce duds here and there. That's why you will see some people speak out against IBM/Hitachi or Western Digital or ????? Those are the people who got burnt because they were unlucky enough to buy brand X at a time when brand X was not doing as well as would be hoped.
But, over the long run, certain brands tend to be the cream of the crop. Your best bet is to buy Seagate or Western Digital. In fact, buy TWO of them, maybe one of each brand. Use one to boot off of, and get backup software to periodically copy everything to the other (or RAID it in a mirrored setup). Lately, Samsung has been making some pretty darned nice hard drives, also. But Seagate and WD both have more of a history of reliability, and are for the most part pretty rock-solid reliable, ignoring a few duds here and there (just like all brands) -Dave
On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 23:44:03 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"

For one, had the drive been damaged or defective, the purchaser does not have suitable packaging to return ship it. One should not have to spend time or money to repack a product in a way other than it was sent to avoid possible warranty rejection.

No, they do not fully absorb, somewhat diminish would be more appropriate. They are obviously suitable for general handling, but a lot can happen to a box between manufacturer and final delivery. Dropping it for example, though hopefully today's FDB bearing drives are more shock resistant than the old BB versions.

Depends on how much bubble wrap and how well it was wrapped. I tend to doubt someone mass packing orders is going to take the utmost care with each and every one. It also means one more stage of human handling, another potential for it to be damaged _before_ securely wrapped up.

Not necessarily, if the drive can survive in a working order but fails prematurely, say 1 year later, only the warrantor ever realizes it failed and since the warrantor probably didn't receive it re-wrapped in the same exact packaging, they wouldn't even know how the seller wrapped it. That is, unless some HDD manufacturers are now bulk packing with just bubblewrap but I suspect it would be shells and/or foam instead.
us:

THANK YOU... The first totally true comment made yet with the exception of Rod's posts.

Not really. Infant mortality for HDDs is pretty low these days, so burn-in does not help much. Same is generally true for semiconductors. It used to be different.
Hiwever if you really want to burn in, then just put the drive under higher load for some time. I used to do this by compiling Linux kernels in a loop.
Arno