Fragmented hard drive with 2007.

We have been using SW 2007 at my work for a while now and I recently received a new Dell computer. The page file was set to my C drive where the SolidWorks application is installed. The problem I seem to have is after using SolidWorks for an extended period of time, I get a Run Time error and my C drive is fragmented to 40%. Has anyone else senn this problem and do you have a fix? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
liquidcooper

We have been using SW 2007 at my work for a while now and I recently received a new Dell computer. The page file was set to my C drive where the SolidWorks application is installed. The problem I seem to have is after using SolidWorks for an extended period of time, I get a Run Time error and my C drive is fragmented to 40%. A co-worker I spoke to about this suspects it may be due to poorly written code. Has anyone else seen this problem and do you have a fix? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
liquidcooper

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

This is no hassle. Just have your co-worker rewrite the code, and you are golden.

Happy day! :o)

Daisy

ps. or you might consider fixing the size of your page file. So many people make their page files huge because, well... because... well, ummm because they can. And because of that stupid equation someone used to send around in the 90s that said that you needed RAM X 1.5 = VM or something... Windows only uses so much memory, and beyond that its all a waste. Anyway, if you have 2 GB of ram, your page file shouldn't be any larger than 2 GB. Page file should be as small as you can get away with, actually, and only as large as a total of RAM + VM = 4 GB max.

Don't let windows manage the page file size. Set the max and min to the same value. If windows manages it, your C drive automatically becomes fragemented 40%!!!

Also, if you can, move the page file to a second physical drive on the computer if you have one.

Another piece of advice is to stuff your coworker in a sack and tie it tightly. You might let him do his work on the computer, but don't let him talk out loud.

Reply to
FlowerPot

What is an extended period of time? Hours, days, weeks? How is your pagefile set? You should be using the 3GB switch and you should have your pagefile set to 2 times installed ram up to 4gb. Your pagefile should have the same maximum and minimum. If you have a lot of RAM set the PagingExec to 1.

I have never seen a disk 40% fragmented but I'll take your word for it. I have seen SW crash when allowing Windows to manage pagefile. Are you saving your models on C:? Have you cleaned out the temp file in local settings at any time? This is something that will cause SW to crash or become unstable.

Of course you are only running SW on this Dell. No mp3 stuff. No CD ripping, photo editing and of course no virii, trojans, spyware, etc.

Reply to
TOP

The basic advice they used to give this time is to have the page file preferably on a different phisycal drive but at its minimum on a dedicated partition. This advise is independent of the release, they keep saying it since 97. John

Reply to
JN

I've noticed this on my compter also. Mine is fragmented to 15% and when I run defrag it doesn't get any better. Before installing SW2007 I never had any issues with fragmented files. Something DEFINITELY happened with 2007.

Reply to
yawdro

We have turned the 3GB switch back on and moved the page file from the C: (os) drive to the D: (Work folders for cad files) drive and set both the min and max to the same size at 4096 and we are currently not expierencing the problem anymore... We will post here again if that changes...

Bill Briggs (co-worker of orig> We have been using SW 2007 at my work for a while now and I recently

Reply to
Bill Briggs

Forget the built in windows defrag... use Perfect Disk... it actually works...

Reply to
cd

dirms also does a good job. Runs from the command line and can be made to run from a batch file and scheduled.

Reply to
TOP

I remember seeing info on setting the 3GB switch some time ago, but since I didn't have anywhere near that much memory, I passed it by. Where can I find info on how to set the switch?

Thanks in advance.

BB

Reply to
Bruce Bretschneider

Go to

and start reading. It should give you about all you want to know. Not necessarily ALL the answers, but certainly enough. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

You don't need a lot of memory to need the 3GB switch. It controls how much memory programs can use. This includes the cache you have set. If you don't have the switch and have 2GB installed you will crash at around 1.6GB of memory usage regardless of how much or little is installed. On the other hand the 3GB switch will let SW use all the 2GB installed. Even with 1GB installed it seems to help.

Reply to
TOP