Arrrggghhh! - Metric Stuff Up!

Unfortunately they failed to invent an eraser to go on the back end of the number-carving chisel, and fell to defeat after Alaric read "M" on his tax bill instead of "I VI".

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I hear that 9mm stuff - where is the small stuff.

1mm is big! I know there is .1mm and .01mm

The MKS - basis of a Meter, Killogram, second is for Big stuff.

The cgs - basis of a centimeter, gram, second is for little stuff.

But most people use the MKS and try to measure 'mils' using mm but it just doesn't make it.

Don't get me wrong, I have a degree in Physics. Metric is a basis math part used.

Machining just misses something seems to me.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

By "imperial," you mean natural units, right? Like the inch, foot, and so on? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

The term "Imperial measure" refers to the Roman Empire. Their measurement system carried over to us.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve

By "imperial," you mean natural units, right? Like the inch, foot, and so on? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

The term "Imperial measure" refers to the Roman Empire. Their measurement system carried over to us.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve

By "imperial," you mean natural units, right? Like the inch, foot, and so on? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

The term "Imperial measure" refers to the Roman Empire. Their measurement system carried over to us.

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve

Well, of course. Amazonia wasn't yet, discovered.

From such simple mis understandings. And the worst thing - back in the Day, when something was said "to be carved in stone", they meant carved in stone. None of this cast in cement, nonsense, either.

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

That's another reason they declined and fell, lowest-bidder concrete. Look at Pompeii, only MM anno old and already falling apart. They just couldn't listen to the Egyptians.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Volts, Amps,

Tim,

You lost me here, what are these native English measurements for Amps Volts and Watts?

I found for example that these terms have been redefined several times when the ability to measure has improved, but I could find no mention of a competitive system of measurement.

Roger Shoaf

Reply to
RS at work

Argh -- I think I was confused by the fact that the cgs system has two measures of voltage: statvolts and abvolts (they're in Wikipedia). If there ever was an English measure of electrical units, I can't find it on the web.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

A rice cooker cup is 180ml, for some reason.

Maybe Wikileaks can reveal Victoria's Secret?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

"Steve" on Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:13:15 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

British Empire. A lot of the measures were "customary" - and until the Canadians went metric, you could get gas by the Imperial Gallon, which made for better gas mileage, as you had more miles per "gallon".

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Spehro Pefhany on Wed, 01 Dec 2010

16:17:51 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I believe this is something which will bear watching.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Getting so that one thinks in a different measuring system isn't easy. I guess it like speaking a foreign language. One thing to learn a foreign language, another thing to think in a foreign language.

I spent a lot of time looking at an oscilloscope screen, so a cm became something I can think in. But I do not do well with Pascals, and even Centigrade temperatures.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

(...)

Like me, you have a visceral understanding of the size of a liter of soft drink, yes? Your graticule experience should allow you to pick out a 10 mm fastener right quick, I'll bet. If I asked 'about how long is a meter?', you could hold out your hands to approximate 39 inches, no doubt.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

On a visit to senior son in the other London in 1999, I noted that gasoline was priced at 69.9, which at the time translated to roughly $1.85. Dividing by 4.5 (to convert gallons to litres) gave $0.41 which compared very well with the $0.399 which I was paying at home. Then I realized that 69.9 WAS the price per Litre! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Gerald Miller on Thu, 02 Dec 2010 21:47:47 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Back in 77, diesel oil was 7 piaster (Egyptian) the liter. Not a whole lot,even then. Nice to have your own oil wells.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Now there is an interesting thought. Me too. About 40 yrs of looking at a scope. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

On Nov 30, 2:07=A0am, Andrew VK3BFA wrot

Let's see, was that measure once, cut twice? Feed a fever, oh hell...

Seriously, though, it's a good idea to have a few "constants" mmemorized, just to be able to give a sanity check. For instance:

1mm ~ .040" 1cm ~ 0.4" 1M ~ 1 yard 1L ~ 1 quart 5ml ~ 1tsp

You also ought to measure (and memorize) things like the length of your thumb(knuckle to tip), the span of your hand (thumb to pinky) and the span of your outstretched arms (fingertip to fingertip). These are great for quick estimates.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Never needed this one, but the width at the root of the nail is about one inch.

About 9 inches

One fathom. ;-)

Don't forget the hand, or the cubit! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I agree. But knowing those things is not the same as being able to think in a different set of dimensions. If you ask me the distance from my house to the road in meters, I will think in yards and convert to meters.

Thank God that electricity is all metric.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster