metric/imperial question

Do people work in metric, imperial, both?
I work almost exclusively in metric, only buying imperial when really really needed - eg one tap or die for a special job - but what do other
people use?
Peter Fairbrother
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 02/12/17 00:48, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

I was taught both systems at school more than fifty years ago so I'll happily work in either or both at the same time, however my preference is for Imperial. Being based on features of the body and the landscape around us it somehow seems more natural and comes more readily to mind.
--
Clifford Coggin
Kent
England
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Clifford Coggin" wrote in message

As with Cliff, comfortable in both systems from long use (ever so long :( ) I tend now to work in the metric system but hold extensive tooling in both systems.
If something was originally made to Imperial measurements it seems only sensible to continue thus, and vice versa
Andrew
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 13:28:48 -0000

I was amused to buy a piece of board the other day, and to see that it was still cut according to Imperial measurements, 4' x 4', but sold in Metric dimensions, mms x mms. The Imperial measurement is so much more useable, to me, using single digits as opposed to 4 digits for each dimension.
--
Davey.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 02/12/2017 00:48, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

After a lifetime of dismantling electrical gear for its components, when it comes to nuts and bolts, 4BA and 2BA are my favourite.
But, of course, the BA scheme was the first metrication in Brit!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 02/12/17 00:48, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Peter,
I use whichever seems more natural for the job but predominantly use metric these days. I grew up in the US so practical stuff like machining woodwork etc was inch but all science in the US has been SI metric since the 1960s IIRC so was used to that as well in the US. When I came back to the UK I would mainly use imperial but have slowly switched to more metric.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 00:48:45 +0000, Peter Fairbrother

A little different perspective over here in the U.S. where I use mostly decimal inch stuff. But sincs metric is so common the rest of the world and a lot of stuff I make is designed for international markets I use metric a lot. It used to be I would always be converting in my head to inch dimensions to get an idea of, roughly, of the size of a part. But I have been using metric so much it is now starting to become second nature. Metrification of the U.S. is surely going to come about because of goods made for the international market and goods shipped here from the rest of the world. The only metric system I can't seem to get used to is degrees C. I take showers here with 100 degree water and 40 degrees here is cold. Eric
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 03/12/17 23:32, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Eric,
I left the US in 1982 and can't recall seeing metric fasteners at all in the local places but from what I have read subsequently metric is quite common now, most likely as you say due to so much being made abroad and possibly also US goods being made for a world market where inch wouldn't be very readily accepted.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

Greetings David, Any parts that I do that go into machines that are considered "High Tech" will be metric today. Often I will get drawings with dimensions that look strange. This is because the part was designed in metric and then the dimensions are converted to inch. I always check these drawings to look for conversion mistakes because it is common for them to occur. I wish everything would just be made metric. Since I always work in decimal inches working in metric is no different except for the metric (I meant that pun) being used. Meter versus foot. Cheers, Eric
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.