Battery drill external battery pack

What's that Lassie? You say that Stormin Mormon fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sat, 10 Apr 2010 09:58:55 -0400:

The whole rig is heavier, but it lightened up the drill a lot.

Yep. Current varies with load. 20A was the highest I got it with a quick test. Might be more with a bigger load or different drill. I think you could do some light drilling with a 10A limit.

You can open them up and add heaver wire and a bigger breaker, or make up a lighter socket that you can attach to the jumper clamps.

Reply to
dan

My drill battery was a deep cycle group 27 that was no longer usable as a trolling battery, but in it's crippled state it worked great for my

9.6-volt drill
Reply to
RBnDFW

That's very clever. Is it dificult to carry around?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I fixed all the drywall screws in my previous house with a Ryobi battery drill, ran on the supplied battery until flat, then plugged in a home made cable and a 12 V car battery. There was no mains power until all the walls were completed. I also built all the kitchen cabinets using the same drill. The benchtops were laminated 2 x 1 Jarrah, glued and screwed with the 2" vertical. Cupboard doors were T&G matchboard inserted into a 3 x 1 external frame, 24 of them!

Alan

Reply to
alan200

In a good backpack, probably not. It's only around 60 pounds.:)

Reply to
John Husvar

Yes, but I don't carry it far, just around the shop. It's usually quicker to use than a corded 110V, and the cables are much longer, and it has an adjustable clutch which I use a lot.

Reply to
RBnDFW

Yep, for 2 reasons..... Your a professional Gunner - it is expected you have a working cordless drill. And if your going to drill more than a few little holes, then you have to use a powered drill anyway. Your power cables should be on reels for easy deployment/recovery anyway, so its no great drama to run them out. In the back of your truck, near the back door for easy access. I found that the plastic spools that MIG wire comes on are great, fairly bit internal diameter so don't crimp or stress the cable.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Your mad - lugging a 60lb pack around so you can drill holes???? - you must be a lot younger and fitter than I.. Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Thats good -works because you don't have to lug it around except from room to room. Will mentally file that one away... Andrew VK3BFA

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

It does have a lingering stench, doesn't it?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell