Not OT (for once) - follow up - drill chuck removal problem

Hi All, follow up - some time ago, I asked about how to remove the key-less chuck on battery drills. My semi-dead one I was using as a power screwdriver finally had a toooo dead battery pack, so it was sacrificed to the cause. Got some good advice, so used it. Biggest Allen key that would fit in the chuck , a lot of whacks with the hammer - came loose (yes, I had figured out the reverse screw thread thingy down the middle) Thanks people - advice noted, and used successfully. Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

What will you do with a separated chuck?

Did you consider rigging an external battery pack for your drill?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

BTW, my dead cordless drills get a set of cables from (equally dead) battery chargers. Clamp a 9.6-volt drill to a marginal 12V battery and you can drill for hours, in a semi-portable way

Reply to
RBnDFW

Does the over voltage burn out the motor?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What's that Lassie? You say that Stormin Mormon fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Fri, 9 Apr 2010 17:11:08 -0400:

Many voltages of cordless drills have the same motor in them.

9.6v to 14.4v should be OK on 12v.
Reply to
dan

bin it. got too much useless "junque" as it is.

No. Wanted the internals more, have other good working drills so no great drama if it died, or I stuffed it up.

Andrew VK3BFA. (who all to often throws caution and common sense to the winds, and presses the Big Red Button just to see what happens...)

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA