Beginner looking for source for sheet metal aluminun in Canada

HI

Can anyone tell me a good place to buy aluminum sheet metal, suitable for electronics chassis work, in the Montreal area? Or in Canada?

Custom cut to size would be good... :)

Any good sources to learn more about aluminum sheet metal? I bought some hobby books but they are lacking...

Thanks for any pointers!

Reply to
Bob

Well, they're not local to you but the do specialize in small order and custom cuts:

Perry Murlless

Metal Supermarkets has stores in Ontario, not Quebec yet.

You might also check with a local heating a ventilation sheet metal company. They usually have all of the tools to do up things like chassis.

Reply to
machineman

thanks!

Reply to
Bob

thanks!

Reply to
Bob

Macineman: You need to think about what you are writing before replying. HVAC shops are hack shops. They get the job done, sure, but

+/- 1/16" is tight tolerances for them. They never work with aluminum. Electronic cabinets take really tight tolerances and are generally made of 5052-H32 because it is cheap and has good elongation. None of this is an opinion. If the man wants to buy aluminum sheet why doesn't he look in the Yellow Pages. That is what they are for. Leigh at MarMachine
Reply to
Leigh Knudson

Obviously you aren't aware of the Great Canadian Rip Off otherwise known as UPS. Any shipment from the US to Canada attracts a special UPS "brokerage" fee of at least $35.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Yup! I ordered from Online Metals and UPS' 'shipping and handling' came to $81.00 Unfortunately the order was split into two separate shipments ($81.00 X 2 ). I paid the first bill 'at the truck' but the second bill came in the mail. As I am not at home it didn't get paid so I guess I am now on Online's shit list as the second bill would be charged back to them. Sigh! Regards. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey