Belt Sander/Grinder

I tried again with a 5 star and "recommended" rating. They must have made the filtering software smarter since that post, or they have me blocked entirely. I suppose I could create another account and try again, but a better use of my is probably to find another source for the vises.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I'm sorry to hear they are not up to snuff any longer. I have a couple task I do that would benefit from a self centering vise. Other than Grizzly all the similar vises I have seen are in that thousand-ish dollar range. Even Shars. Although if they really do maintain .0004 repeatability I can see why they cost so much.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've never had a problem with the jaw dovetails and gib adjustment. The jaws move smoothly with no play. In every case the screw and its support are the sticking point. The design of the screw support is less than ideal, but wouldn't be too hard to improve. If they took a bit more care machining the screw, and supplied the guy assembling the screw with a shim assortment, all my complaints would go away.

This is the rejected review.

*************************************** The notion that this is a precision vise is preposterous. We've purchased eleven of these vises over the past few years and the quality is a crap-shoot. I've become used to the idea that I'll have to rework them to make them usable even for our use, which is not a precision operation. I consider myself lucky when they're good enough out of the box.

The most recent two vises we received are the worst to date. They required shims to remove the end play from the screws; .040" for one, .060" for the other. There's not much point in a self-centering vise if the screw can float.

One vise also required opening up the bearing bore for the screw in the end plates to allow the screw to turn freely. The end plate screws were loose, probably to allow the plate to wobble and compensate for the wonky bore.

The jaws are shimmed with strips of newspaper, presumably so they close squarely. This has been true of every vise we've purchased. (We don't use the stock jaws.) Good luck getting them back that way if you remove them for any reason.

Unless you're looking for a project, or don't mind gambling, look elsewhere if you truly need an accurate self-centering vise.

Reply to
Ned Simmons