Bending tubes

I am considering doing a go kart kit. I actually want to build a kit, even though I can probably be better off buying it already made. I want the joy of building it myself. I am looking at some plans that use 1.5" and 2" .090 wall mild steel round tube. I will need to be able to do some basic bending to these tubes. What are some cheap ways of doing this. I was considering a conduit bender. The kind you get from home depot for 30 bucks or so. Would that work for a one time project not needing too many bends?

Harborfreight has some pipe benders,and I know that means 2" is not 2", but is there some way to use one of these seemingly cool hydraulic pipe bendres they sell?

this will be a one time deal, so I'm not looking for anything professional, but I'm looking for any suggestions.

Thanks

Reply to
V8TR4

Obviously your choice of materials means you are determined to improve on the rigidity of your TR chassis? :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I have one of these benders. I have only used it on black pipe and it bends well. With mine I have to use it sitting vertically, or just somewhat tilted, but could not use it laying flat. Not sure why, but no hydraulic pressure. This is only a problem when bending long pipes, I was putting a couple of bends in a 2" x 21' pipe. Sitting vertically I could only make a few inches of bend before the ends touched the ground. You will be doing shorter lengths so you probably won't encounter the problem I had.

professional,

Reply to
Alex H. Sallwey

The hydraulic pipe benders will kink that thin wall tube even if you can get a shoe that will fit your tube tightly.

For a > I am considering doing a go kart kit. I actually want to build a kit, even

Reply to
RoyJ

Try a muffler shop, my local one does bends for me in 1.5" aluminum sch. 40 pipe for 5 bucks a bend. One of there shoes may fit your tubing.

professional,

Reply to
habbi