BIG HOLE

Last month I did a job that required cutting out an approximatly 3 inch diameter disk from a 0.100 thick Al sheet. I used what I have seen called a trepanning tool/circle cutter/hole cutter/? Basically a shaft with a central twist drill and a horizontal cross bar that holds a single point 3/16 square tool bit vertically parallel to the central shaft. The horizontal bar slides to adjust the radius of the cut. The tool bit slides vertically as well. I set the bit to contact the work after the central twist drill had gone through the sheet. Ran my Clausing 8520 as slow as it would go and fed down with the quill. Kind of scary with the tool whipping around in a circle and the screaming of the scraping action of the tool on the Al. Used WD40 as cutting lube which helped. Had quite a bit of catching where the tool bit jammed in the work. The belts on the 8520 were a little loose so the tool stalled and the motor spun. I think, a good thing in this instance. I found I had to grind the tool to a narrow chisel profile to reduce the load on the machine and stalling although increasing belt tension might have worked too. Also the narrow tool had an easyer time fitting into the groove being cut. I also reversed the tool bit

180 deg. and ran the spindle in reverse to widen the groove for a little tool relief as well. The 0.1 inch sheet was screwed down to a piece of MDF as was the disk to be cut out. That assembly was clamped to the table.

I think that the rough out with an end mill and clean up by boring bar would be a better way to go in 3/8 thick material due to the trouble I had with catches and stalling. Of course a more manly milling machine might have made my method work like a hot knife through butter. My end product was the disk and from the OP's text I assume his is the hole. It worked out and my friend was happy with his big washer. I've seen the circle cutters at decent hardware stores and may have even seen them in the tool dept at Home Depot.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty new at this so take whatever I write with as much skepticism as you feel comfortable with.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schoenbeck

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:50:32 -0700, michael vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

The distance? Apollo mission?

hmmm...

**************************************************** The Met Bureau is LOVE!
Reply to
Old Nick

--Searching Enco was your first mistake! ;-) If you anticipate having to do this sort of thing on a regular basis you really need some kind of milling machine and a rotary table. Trepanning can be done, but you'll need a mill or a lathe for rigidity to use this tool anyway. Rotary table costs about the same as a good trepanning tool and it's a good bit more versatile. Safer, too, IMO.

Reply to
steamer

Pretty far. Lunar landings.

What is the Met Bureau?

mj

Reply to
michael

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:00:57 -0700, michael vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

There _have_ been a few Apollo missions whose distance was a bit unplanned....

AT LAST! A BITE! GOD it's been painful waiting!

Those people who try to predict the weather.

LOVE is never having to say you are sorry......

**************************************************** The Met Bureau is LOVE!
Reply to
Old Nick

I'm pretty sure using a wood router is a recipe for a lot of

No way. Routing aluminum works great.

Reply to
Eric R Snow

When my building was almost finished and the door guys were coming I realized the factory had neglected to ship the door frame. Using a generator to power a skill saw with a carbide because the power wasn't yet tuned on I cut up a bunch of 4 x 2 x 1/4 channel and 3 x 3 3 1/4 angle and had the local weld shop do the welding. Boy was that loud! and chips everywhere! But it worked great. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Depending on how much you want to abuse your table saw, you can also cut mild steel using a Morse Metal Devil blade (or the Tenryu).

And in the "way too much abuse" category, I just finished cutting around 200 linear feet of .5" slate tile in my tablesaw using a diamond saw blade. I put contact paper down on the table and fence and made a sled for the tiles. Worked great doing the miters for the edging, also. It did take more than an hour to clean all the dust out of the shop ;-) I found out quickly why people use wet saws.

Reply to
Aaron Kushner

Years ago, I needed to open up the upper engine case on a 4 cylinder motorcycle engine for a big bore kit. The cylinder studs were removed, and a woodworking router with a high speed steel bit was used to open up the case bores, set for a depth of about 7/8". Skim cuts were taken in a circular fashion around the rim of the hole, and it worked great.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

We used high speed steel 200 tooth plywood type blades on a Makita chop saw at work to cut thousands and thousands of 1/4" X 1" brass flat bars for over 18 years, with no issues, other than noise. The operator would make the cut in about a second. I cringed whenever I heard it, but it worked.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Correction. That should have read as a 100 tooth blade in my previous post.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Did you use a guide, or was this free-hand?

Joel. phx

I just wish they wouldn't shout so much.

Reply to
Joel. Corwith

Free hand, using a heavily scribed circle on a blued aluminum surface.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Damn!! You're brave AND good!! "

Reply to
Chief McGee

I can think of one. 13.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Chuckle.. I grew up in a cabinet shop as a kid. The key here is that you are SKIM cutting around the hole with the router moving in a clockwise direction around the hole. This produces conventional milling. An opposite direction around the hole (climb milling) would be quite jerky due to the direction of rotation of the router bit. A router speed control or a Variac unit can be used to control router RPM to suit the need. The cut can also be made in incremental depths till you get near the line, then finish up with a full depth pass or two. The accuracy of this particular hole is not really that critical, as it just has to let the cylinder sleeves enter the casing. An occasional testing of size with a spare sleeve was used for sizing, and a full bank of cylinders was used for the scribing, to keep the relationship between holes correct. It took a while, but at the time, I had no mill.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Do a deja and you'll find most of the metal group posts think you'll take a hand off. The wood groups have a couple of warnings, but mostly descriptions of how they successfully use routers and other wood tools for aluminum work.

Hmm.

Joel. phx

relationship

Reply to