Bigger shaft (tap and die guide for tailstock)

I've ordered a #3 MT to 5/8 x 16 chuck adapter to create a guide for my tailstock.

Any thoughts on a suitable shaft diameter? I'd like to have something with a bit of moxie. Perhaps for some tapping guide action for 1.25 to

1.75 dia.

Material sufficient to handle the torque? Just plain 1018, or something with more spine?

Looked at the Threadex, nice.

Reply to
Louis Ohland

This doesn=92t answer your questions, but you might find this old Popular Mechanics article useful to you:

Denis G.

or
Sweet. Did you take in the Old Car Converted to Heavy-Duty Farm Tractor?

Reply to
Louis Ohland

I saw that. I loved reading those magazines when I was growing up. There used to be a cartoon with a character that solved problems around the house. He would scratch his head and come up with a clever solution after a cloud with light bulb appeared over his head. I can=92t remember the name of the cartoon strip, but it wasn=92t in this issue. It must have come a bit later.

Reply to
Denis G.

I just guide the back end of the tap in the center hole of an arbor and start it straight by hand with a tap wrench

on the threads.

Once the tap has started straight you can back off the tailstock and maybe use backgeared power.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

My Dad's first tractor, after WWII, was a Model A truck with the chassis shortened and two transmissions, back-to-back. Duals on the back with chains. He didn't make it, bought it from someone and drove it 15 miles to get home. It was just too light to do much work with.

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Wordless Workshop (by Roy Doty (?))

Reply to
whit3rd

Thanks! That was driving me crazy trying to remember the name of that strip. I now see that it was a feature in Popular Science not Popular Mechanics.

Reply to
Denis G.

Popular Science recently announced that all 137 years of their magazine are available online to read for free.

Michael A. Terrell

Thanks Michael! An old flame that my wife won't mind me rekindling....

Reply to
Denis G.

Yeah, until you refuse to turn off the computer & go to bed! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I just need to protect the monitor when she throws that shoe at me! :)

Reply to
Denis G.

Yeah, a six" stiletto will go right through a LCD monitor. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I knew that we would get back on topic!

Reply to
Denis G.

Maybe you should install a sheet of bullet proof glass in front of your monitor? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's not necessary. If I have trouble, I'll just get the hall monitor. :)

Reply to
Denis G.

or
Is there any way to print those? I don't have internet access at the shop, so I usually print stuff like this to paper or PDF to load on my shop PC.

Reply to
RBnDFW

I'm not sure. I think that they're still covered under copyright laws.

Reply to
Denis G.

Hit "Print Screen" on your keyboard and paste the captured image into an image editing program. Crop, resize, and print to a pdf or paper. Or save to an image file format of your choice. IrfanView is free, fast, and works well for this.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Don't forget your Hall Pass! ;-)

Reply to