Bigger shaft (tap and die guide for tailstock)

I've ordered a #3 MT to 5/8 x 16 chuck adapter to create a guide for my tailstock.
Any thoughts on a suitable shaft diameter? I'd like to have something
with a bit of moxie. Perhaps for some tapping guide action for 1.25 to 1.75 dia.
Material sufficient to handle the torque? Just plain 1018, or something with more spine?
Looked at the Threadex, nice.
Add pictures here
βœ–

This doesn’t answer your questions, but you might find this old Popular Mechanics article useful to you: http://books.google.com/books?id=qN8DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA132&dq=popular+mechanics+tap+holder+tailstock&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=true or http://tinyurl.com/yjs47np
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 3/19/2010 22:42, Denis G. wrote:

http://books.google.com/books?id=qN8DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA132&dq=popular+mechanics+tap+holder+tailstock&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=true
Sweet. Did you take in the Old Car Converted to Heavy-Duty Farm Tractor?
Add pictures here
βœ–

I saw that. I loved reading those magazines when I was growing up. There used to be a cartoon with a character that solved problems around the house. He would scratch his head and come up with a clever solution after a cloud with light bulb appeared over his head. I can’t remember the name of the cartoon strip, but it wasn’t in this issue. It must have come a bit later.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Wordless Workshop (by Roy Doty (?))
Add pictures here
βœ–

Thanks! That was driving me crazy trying to remember the name of that strip. I now see that it was a feature in Popular Science not Popular Mechanics.
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Denis G." wrote:

Popular Science recently announced that all 137 years of their magazine are available online to read for free.
http://www.popsci.com

βœ–

Thanks Michael! An old flame that my wife won't mind me rekindling....
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Denis G." wrote:

Yeah, until you refuse to turn off the computer & go to bed! ;-)

βœ–

I just need to protect the monitor when she throws that shoe at me! :)
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Denis G." wrote:

Yeah, a six" stiletto will go right through a LCD monitor. :(

βœ–

I knew that we would get back on topic!
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Denis G." wrote:

Maybe you should install a sheet of bullet proof glass in front of your monitor? ;-)

βœ–

That's not necessary. If I have trouble, I'll just get the hall monitor. :)
Add pictures here
βœ–
"Denis G." wrote:

Don't forget your Hall Pass! ;-)

βœ–

My Dad's first tractor, after WWII, was a Model A truck with the chassis shortened and two transmissions, back-to-back. Duals on the back with chains. He didn't make it, bought it from someone and drove it 15 miles to get home. It was just too light to do much work with.
Paul
Add pictures here
βœ–
Denis G. wrote:

http://books.google.com/books?id=qN8DAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA132&dq=popular+mechanics+tap+holder+tailstock&cd=1#v=onepage&q=&f=true
Is there any way to print those? I don't have internet access at the shop, so I usually print stuff like this to paper or PDF to load on my shop PC.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'm not sure. I think that they're still covered under copyright laws.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:19:25 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."

Hit "Print Screen" on your keyboard and paste the captured image into an image editing program. Crop, resize, and print to a pdf or paper. Or save to an image file format of your choice. IrfanView is free, fast, and works well for this.
--
Ned Simmons

Add pictures here
βœ–

I just guide the back end of the tap in the center hole of an arbor and start it straight by hand with a tap wrench
http://www.ludhraoverseas.net/full-images/693190.jpg
clamped on the threads.
Once the tap has started straight you can back off the tailstock and maybe use backgeared power.
jsw
Add pictures here
βœ–