blasting media

Hi,
I'm interested in a listing of what blasting media to use to what goal.. I happen to know there is: - slag - glass beads (there will be multiple 'grains')
- flour of glass - crushed wallnut shells - dry ice (frozen carbondioxide?) - sand (not to be used, due to risk of silicosis) - silicium carbide (multiple 'grains') - steel pellets
There may be many more..
But I don't know the application fields of the media I mentioned. Maybe there is a list on the Net or anybody has info (scan from a book) on this.
Thanks for your info!
rob NL
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.wxs.nl wrote:

There are a lot of blasting sites on the net. Dry Ice blasting machines are very expensive and so is the media, so forget about that. I've blasted with crushed glass a little and it is fairly good in the coarser grades. Baking soda is good for tar removal and soft substrates but the alkaline dust is really nasty- it will strip paint and spot polished aluminum. Crushed limestone is less than 1% silica, cheap, and soft enough to blast many substrates without pitting if pressure and time blasting are controlled. I'm getting fed up with the soft media, however, it takes tons of the stuff to do a tough job. Even using a hood and a powered respirator, I think I'm exposing myself to too much dust and mist. My airways are not appreciating it, combined with all the rest of the junk they have to endure. In general pulverizing material and breathing it even in small amounts is not a good thing.