Boeing and metrcication question

We were starting from scratch, so we had the luxury of choice. If we had been upgrading something without replacement, no way could we have switched.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

OK. How many cups in a liter?

Reply to
Steve Austin

Sugar is usually sold in multiples of 5 pounds so they would have to buy three tiny bags if they do it your way.

A lot of stuff sold in the US already has the metric equivalent marked after the pounds, ounces or fluid ounces.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

1 liter = 4.22675282 US cups
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The best was the compliance to 4.7625 IIRC for a 3/16 !

Just conversion to get to compliance. Martin

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

A little over four. I just Googled 4.2 so I was a little off.

About 9216 drams per firkin

What's your point?

My point is that because we in the U.S. are comfortable buying cola drinks in 1 liter bottles, we now have an intuitive grasp of 'how much' one liter is. The implication being that, as with hot tubs, immersion begets familiarity.

This is a Good Thing even if cola is not.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

It might have been a bargaining point, but I doubt it.

We all lost a lot of famous inventor names for the work they did in that grand experiment of making 4 versions of metric and scientific measurements into one. SI.

It caused many a book to be re-written.

mart>> A liter isn't SI. How about that!

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Yea - liter Coke, three liter of Coke and all of that non SI but metric stuff. Booze is also in Liters not 1/5's of a Gallon.

What kicks me - the U.S.A. teaspoon volume value does not equal that of Canada's. Different sizes of spoons :-)

Mart> Mark Rand wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Right - that was for Canada and Mexico. One thing - a Liter is not SI metric. It is 'old school' metric.

But the high up managers are 'old school' so we understand!

Martin

Mart> Ed Huntress wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

. You mean one liter is no longer one thousand cubic centimeters weighing one gram each so a liter of water is one kilogram, and there are a thousand millimeters to a meter? And one calorie is one cubic centimeter of water heated by one degree Celsius? And one Newton is the force required to move one kilogram of mass to a velocity of one meter per second per second? And the circumference of the earth at the Equator is not 40,000 kilometers just to do away with the messy Babylonian standard of 360 degrees? What happened?

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

The liter is not a "legal" SI unit. The SI unit is the cubic decimeter. And "weight" is an ambiguous term that is not accepted under the standard.

The calorie is not a "legal" SI unit, either.

Use of the SI vs. cgm continues to be unsettled in many fields.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Whoops, that's "cgs" (centimeter, gram, second) not "cgm."

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Correct. For products controlled by the FPLA, both must be present.

The container size and the text on the label are related but distinct issues. The FPLA law only relates to labels. As far as I know, sugar conainer size is not controlled by law.

If a manufacturer/importer offers a product with a metric-only label and customers will not buy it, that should be up to the marketplace.

You can read what manufacturers are saying if you look for 'Permissible Metric-Only Labeling' on the page:

Yes. That is because the FPLA controls most (but not all) of the prepacked things in the supermarket.

Milk is controlled by the USDA. They mandate non-metric labels. Metric is merely optional. Metric-only milk labels are illegal.

Wine and liquor are controlled by the TTB. They mandate metric labels. Non-metric only labels would be illegal.

Reply to
pat.norton

Wow! What an eye opener. It would appear to even a blind person that whoever is running this SI operation is self destructing. They got a toe-hold, now they want the moon!

Same thing is happening with the ISO 9000 debacle --- got a good start, now stalling because it was mostly hype to those who actually certified -- good for press releases, lousy for the folk on the factory floor. I know. I was there.

So... bottom line.... the metrication movement must rely on traditional inch/lb/hp standards to even be credible. So... why bother changing a working system. My original question.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

Ha! Well, I wouldn't go that far. I'd say that they have had mixed success in "cleaning up" the metric system itself. There are units that are in common use (kgm, for kilogram [mass]; calorie; liter; micron), for the same reason many of our inch/Imperial units are in common use: they relate to experience of the senses, or they apply a single dimension to a commonly used unit when the SI demands multiple-dimension units.

Converting the world from cgs to SI remains a work in progress, after close to 50 years.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

The thousand cubic centimeter is it. cm^3 The liter name itself is not allowed in metric.

"revolution" isn't SI but allowed to be used with it. right angle, degree, grad, minute, second. All non SI. mho, current/circular mil, franklin, faraday, watthour, dyne, watt, newton, BTU, therm, megaton TNT (4184 Terajoule) , frigorie, erg, electronvolt, watthour calorie. the electronvolt can be used but not SI. dyne, angstrom, fermi, micron, caliber, point, pica, astronomical unit, parsec, angstrom, bohr, fermi, lambert, gilbert, oersted maxwell, gauss, gamma, bel, neper, bar, rad, Rankine, calorie, c, knot, poise, stokes, liter, and lambda.

There are many others that were specifically Imperial or American or British. Mart>> Right - that was for Canada and Mexico. One thing - a Liter is not SI > metric.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Small Physics (particles and below) use CGS, real world uses MKS. Since CGS is the fundamental units it takes over.

I added a rather large list of non-unit names in this group. Such is life.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

You are NEVER to speak of this again! The meetings! The endless, mind numbing meetings! Then the idiots conducting quarterly audits!!!! ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

And they still use Hectares to measure acreage in France and other parts of the world.

John

Reply to
john