boiler finish

Hi All, Several years ago I made a boiler out of a piece of 3/8" thick, 16" diameter steel pipe. It is kept in a barn/machine shed where it is exposed to moisture and temperature changes. It is rusting to the point that there is enough to form a thin sheet on the surface. Oil based machine paint is of little use because the temperature causes it to burn, peel, or otherwise fail. Does anyone know of a surface treatment that can stand the heat and prevent rust? I was thinking of automotive exhaust header paint, or perhaps the rust converter paint, does anyone else have answers or ideas? Thanks in advance, Rick

Reply to
Rhbuxton

How about exhaust manifold paint? ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

There are plenty of hi-temp finishes. Grill paint is good to almost red heat.

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,

Reply to
Tim Williams

Old fashion black stove polish ? Its cheap and easily available Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Wipe it with linseed oil, it will blacken with use or you can heat things to smoking and wipe it on.

Reply to
Beecrofter

Hey Rick,

For just the surface rust, you might try Parkerizing. I have no idea how it will take fire-box flame and heat though.

Take care.

Brian Laws>Hi All,

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Many thanks to all those who gave me advise on boiler finishes! Your help is really appreciated. Rick

Reply to
Rhbuxton

How about lagging and cleading?

Mark Rand RTFM