bond UHMW to SS

Hi Karl,

I sell offcuts of UHMW on ebay and in major woodworking chains like Lee Valley and Woodcraft.

You can't actually glue UH to anything if you want a durable, strong joint, because UHmw is a closed molecule that won't even absorb water, let alone the glue components you're trying to create a bond with.

The best you'll ever be able to achieve is an "atmosphere bond" with self-adhesive tape. As has already been noted, if you don't have a lot of shear strength needed, that may do all right for you.

You CAN weld UHMW, but it takes special equipment and a specialized skill. Probably not worth it for a single job.

I think your original idea of using rivets is probably the best bet for the job.

The idea of crazing the surface by etching it or using a propane torch is iffy. UHMW melts almost at the same temperature that it ignites at

- you could have a real mess from that.

BTW, if the UH DOES melt, it smells like candles, but the drippings are NOT wax. They'll cause 2nd and 3rd-degree burns. Be careful.

Eric

Reply to
eric h

I would also like to see this formula, having just bought some of the slippery white stuff which I would like to eventually somewhat adhere to Cu.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Given that the formula also calls for water, you could theoretically use diluted sulphuric, given that the amount of water was at least equal or less than that required by the given ratios.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Whoops, cancel that, you gave the formula in a post further down the thread.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken