booty from work

got a real nice 180 volt dc motor 1 hp, and 140 to one right angle gear box at work today , now what do I do with it?

Reply to
williamhenry

DC's have good torque at all speeds. That's a lot of reduction. It's also probably a worm drive. If so, they're not very efficient but won't backdrive at that reduction. Hoist of some sort? Although, personally, I'd rather stick with purchased (engineered) lifting devices.

The motor sans gearbox with a suitable controller could run a variable speed belt sander, or whatever.

Have fun, be safe.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

Rotisserie for an entire pig?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Hell, rotisserie a whole pig farm!

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

A big pile of gel cell or wet deep cycle batteries (180V worth) and build a heavy go-kart chassis?

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

got to playing with it in the garage this morning

there is an external spur gear reduction between the motor and the gear box, then the gear box itself is 140 to one

total reduction is to 1 then 140 to one

it came from a trolley for transporting large rolls the fabric used to skin disposable diapers

Reply to
williamhenry

On Sat, 15 May 2004 12:38:13 -0500, "williamhenry" brought forth from the murky depths:

Make a really nice variable-speed wood lathe.

----------------------------------------------------------------- When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction. --Steven Wright ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Spehro Pefhany wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

My brother roasts a whole pig every year with a 1/6 hp motor. You should think bigger and roast a buffalo.

Reply to
Hitch

"williamhenry" wrote in news:03vpc.19401$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

With that much reduction, you could make a car rotissery. Need to do under-car work....No Problem!..just roll the car over.

Reply to
Anthony

Reply to
william_b_noble