boring head tip

I learned a really good lesson today. Don't advance the boring head by backing out the screw; rather only feed it in. If you do advance it by backing it out, pay attention to where it is. I backed mine out a little too far today and it threw a workpiece and the bottom half of the boring head all over the shop. Took a long long time to find the leadscrew piece. Nothing hurt but my pride, but it was real scary.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant

You ought to see what happens when a cnc mill operator has an indicator in a drill chuck and (A)- rapids the whole thing into the workpiece. Scratch one indicator and usually one drill chuck and holder. Or (B)- hits the start button to bring the head down to a location to check a hole but forgets to skip past the line in the program that say speed

3000rpm :-) Again scratch one indicator and if the operator is lucky the parts are not imbedded in his chest.
Reply to
James P Crombie

Reply to
c.henry