I finally got the round tuit to work for me yesterday and today . The result is a branding iron to brand all my bee hive equipment with . I'll also be using it to create the logo to go on all my labels for honey and packaging for other products we may sell in the future . The hot end is made from a piece of salvaged 3/4" wide flat stock that used to be a scroll on a porch awning support . It consists of an A nested in the bottom of a W with a 1 and a 2 in the v's of the W , stands for "12 Acre Wood" . I used my vertical mounted portaband to cut the pieces , cutting only partway thru where I wanted to fold the strips to form the letters . Welded it all up with the little MIG machine using a piece of the strip to attach it all together . I had limited success flattening the face with the mill , ended up with a light pass on the neighbor's belt sander . I need to practice how hot and how long to hold it to get a nice impression without burning the wood in between lines , but I can do that as I brand the hive bodies . When I get an acceptable impression I'll take a photo with the new camera to use as a basis for the labels and such .
8 years ago